Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:23 AM   #1

Since dye sub printers came out, they have been stuck at about 300dpi. I do understand that this is continuous tone and probably equates to about 700dpi, when compared to a bubble jet. The thing I can't understand is why the resolution hasn't improved, given that they have been out for so many years. Does anyone have any idea if there are any improvements likely in the future? - I have the Sony 6"x4" printer. It gives great prints, which are amazingly resistant to fade and they do look truly photographic at normal viewing distances but they do not stand magnification at all. I'm also intrigued why someone hasn't come out with continuous roll of printing. At present the size of the paper is fixed. Wouldn't it be nice if the paper could come out from a roll and be infinitely variable in length? (Think how nice a panoramic dye sublimation print would look).

I'm not impressed with bubble jet printers. The heads get clogged up, the images still fade and they don't print very light areas well at all. A dye sub could potentially answer a lot of these (bubble jet) inadequacies. A big problem with dye sub is that the blacks are very poor. I can't see any reason why the three color dye transfer system couldn't have a fourth (black) dye, to give intensive jet blacks.

Anyone out there with thoughts on the subject?

Ian, Queensland, Australia
irivlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:39 AM   #2

Hi Ian,

As far as I know there are no plans to increase the DPI of the dye-sub printers.

Hi-Touch do a dye-sub that has 401x401 dpi this equates to an equivalent 6800x6800 dpi on an inkjet! which you can't (yet?) buy, I think thats right;like you only interested in the Dye-Sub printers for photos as the results are so good.

I have the Hi-Touch 730 and the prints are stunning just like photo lab results so I dont personally see the need to increase the resolution.

Reading the posts I think it would be more use to increase the size that you can print on a Dye-Sub but making it affordable.

Most of the Dye-Subs I've read about that can print 10"x8" thepaper and ribbon are very expensive, so I think this would be a better thing to improve than the DPI of current printers.

As for the Black and white, I have scanned in a B&W photo taken using a standard film SLRthen printed it offon the Dye-SUbusing the colour ribbon and they look identical to the photo I scanned in which has been developed in a traditional wayusing chemicals.

I took a B&W picture with my digital camera CanonA70 and printed this out using a colour ribbon on the canon CP220 Dye-Sub and yes this did turn out grey rather than B&W. Having read a post somewhere, I think this is due to the camera not taking good B&W shots because of the way it processes the image.

That maybe why the B&W shots don't seem that good and you don't get that JET BLACK you mentioned.

I could be wrong just my thoughts hopefully someone may know and tell us!

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:26 PM   #3

I'll try and do a few more B/W shots - Maybe the camera was the problem. Interesting reply - Thanks for taking the time.

Ian

Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:25 PM   #4

Hi Ian,

Have just found a little more info:-

300 dpi on a dye-sub relates to about 4800 dpi on an inkjet.

400 dpi on a dye-sub relates to about 6400 dpi on an inkjet.

Still looking for info on the way cameras take B&W photos and if this causes the grey colour and not the true black.

Will post any finds here.

Cheers Ian W
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:08 PM   #5

I have the HiTi 730PS and have had no trouble at all with the colors, specifically black. The only thing I have trouble with is cropping. I cant get some photos that I made with a border to fit on the sheet... Some of the border (1/16th or 1/8th inch) hangs over the edge, not much I know, but when that is the size of the border, it doesnt look right at all.

Anyway, the quality of the prints is amazing...
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:05 AM   #6

I made a 6"x4" dye print and put it on the 'fridge. 3 years later, it looks as it did when newly printed. A bubble jet print done on a Canon S800 has virtually faded to nothingness. The colors and the quality look just like a print from a Mini lab. So, I do understand the great benefits of dye sub but it would be so nice if I could get an A3 dye sub that could make a print as long as one liked. If they could iron out this technology and get the price per print down to a reasonable level, who'd bother with bubble jets?

Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:40 PM   #7

I think there will always be a need for inkjetsjust for run of the mill documents.

As for an affordable A3 size Dye-sub;maybe, way off in the future.

Just look at how many companies are making Dye-subs now; not many, Canon have only just started with the CP models and now the Selphy modelsbut this has only been in the last 1-2years.

Hi-touch for some reason have arrived all guns blazing 3-4 years and they have launched 7 models andone which does 3 sizes. All of which are affordable to buy and run!! (unlike some inkjets)

Just seems strange that the 'big' or should that be well known companies haven't started investing in Dye-subs, as yet.

Could this be because most people think 'new technology', you should be using inkjet? So the demand isn't there as yet for Dye-Subs?

I didn't realise how good the results would be until I tried the Dye-sub.

Hopefully others reading these postsmay just go down the dye-sub route and this in turn will increase demand.

Manufacturers may read this and so the affordable A3 printer will happen!

We can but hope.

Cheers Ian

Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:49 AM   #8

I guess you can try Epson 1280.

Grab epson 1280, try to use spongeless bulk ink device from http://www.InkRepublic.com

and buy the ink from

http://www.tropicalgraphics.com

gracebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:23 PM   #9

I have a sony dye sub and an epson inkjet. I prefer the dye sub for prints with people or where I'm looking for less contrast. Dye subs have a lower color gamut (3 vs 5-6 or more). If your looking to print high contrast, really punchy colors then inkjet is the way to go (imho!!). Ideally since both formats are getting cheaper, it doesn't hurt to have one of each. Each has its strengths....one of each gives you the best of both worlds.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:52 PM   #10

So far,InkRepublic.com seems to be the only and better solution for dye sublimation.

from what I have experienced, bulk ink system from china or modified cartridge for epson 1280 and 1290 cannot hold the sublimation ink, only inkrepublic's cartridge can work and work properly.
brandon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote