Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:37 PM   #1

Hi gang,

I need to buy a printer soon for an end-of the month gift. I've been able to check out the Sony locally, but I'm unable to do so with the HiTi, so it would have to be bought sight-unseen. The Hi-Ti models I'm considering are the 631PS, which seems to be the same price as the Sony. The 640PS is a few bucks more, but I really can't see any significant differences.

Has anyone been able to spend anytime with both of these printers? If so, I'm interested in your comments. I don't mind buying the Hi-Ti over the internet, but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Thanks!
Aaron
amheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:21 PM   #2

amheck wrote:
Quote:
Hi gang,

I need to buy a printer soon for an end-of the month gift. I've been able to check out the Sony locally, but I'm unable to do so with the HiTi, so it would have to be bought sight-unseen. The Hi-Ti models I'm considering are the 631PS, which seems to be the same price as the Sony. The 640PS is a few bucks more, but I really can't see any significant differences.

Has anyone been able to spend anytime with both of these printers? If so, I'm interested in your comments. I don't mind buying the Hi-Ti over the internet, but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Thanks!
Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I don't really know anything about the sony printer but I have the Hi-Ti 730PS and can only recommend it for the quality of the prints ease of use and the build quality, not forgetting how cheap they are to run!

Okay this is the top of the range one, but I prefer the larger print sizes. The 6x8 is a fantastic size for framing results are stunning.

I bought mine over the internet in the UK from http://www.systeminsight.co.uk

This sight has lots of good explantions of the Dye-Sub process and lists all of the specs for each Hi-Ti printer. Good site for information/buying and there are a number of user reviews of the different printers. Some good photos of these printers as well.

A quick list from the 631PS upto 640PS

1. the 640PS will printout in 45secs (longer on 631)

2. You can use the monochrome ink/paper kit in this printer ( you can print B&W using the colour ribbon so this is not a problem results still excellent)

3. Increased dpi. this printer is 400dpi (6400dpi in an inkjet)

This is only a short list, most important in my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong with the Hi-Ti printers, the remote screen is very useful so you don't have to connect to the PC. I don't know if the sony has a viewing screen.

I'm completely happy with my printer and would not go back to using an inkjet for printing photos, I belive that most of the Dye-Subs will give you great results.

Good luck

Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:46 AM   #3

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply. I got the sample photo from HiTi and was pretty disappointed that the edges of the samples are perforated. Is this how all of the prints are?

I'm still so torn. The Sony looks nice, but there's no LCD, although I don't even know if I need that. The Dell 540 also looks pretty nice with the 2.5" LCD, but I'm nervious having access to paper and ribbon only from them.

ANd of course the HiTi's are nice, but the performated edges are a definite downer.

Aaron
amheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:26 PM   #4

Hi Aaron,

Unfortunately all of these type of printers have perforated edges.

I have to say though that it is hardly noticeable on the Hi-Ti or the little canon selphy models.

I have used inkjet perforated sheet and that is much worse, and you normally have to trim it to size any way as the perforations are not that good.

The only way to get round this if it really isthat big a problem to you is to go for a different printer, Dye-Sub or inkjet probably the latter and print lots of 4x6 prints on an A4 page then use a paper cutter to trim them up afterwards.

This is very time consuming and in my opinion not really worth the hassle as to me the perforations are not that bad.

As for the LCD screen it can be useful, depends if the printer will always be conected to the PC and you always transfer prints from the card to computer and then print out.

If your in a rush then the LCD is very useful; card in slot, look and do basic adjustments via the remote(on the Hi-TI) then print very easy and quick.

Its a tricky one unless you can go to a local shop and have a good play with different models.

A compromise could be the canon pixma ip4000 or 5000. The 5000 has higher resolution but for 4x6 prints not really needed.

These printers can print full borderless prints up to A4, to get the best quality I would use canon inks and the pro paper. My father has just bought the ip5000 and the results are very good( he would have liked the Hi-ti but couldn't afford it)

The nice thing about these is that if you have a Pictbridge compatible camera you can plug this straight in to the printer, and then use the camera as the LCD screen.

Here in the UK the ip4000 is £99 which is excellent value for money.

Have a look at Steves review, I think he has done it. If you goto the Canon web site you can request a sample print. You upload your picture and select your printer and they will post it you.

Hope this helps

Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote