Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 21, 2005, 2:31 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16
Default

I've been searching around for the Kodak 1400 reviews and it seems to be a quite impresive piece of machine; but then i came to steve's forum and read lots of good reviews about the HiTi730PS.

I'm a graphic designer and also a photographer and i will use the dyesub printer for proofing at A4 size and printing some photos i take for clients and parties, mostly 4x6 and 5x7.

What im asking is: does anyone recommend going for the hiti over the kodak? Can anyone give me the pros and the cons about buying the kodak and the hiti?? I cant make up my mind!! I NEED HEEEEEEELP!!!! :?

Thanks in advance.
Aldans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
IanWgglswrth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 410
Default

Hi Aldans,

I have the Hi-Ti 730PS and I'm very happy and pleased with the quality of the machine and the prints are stunning.

You say you want to print A4 size?

If this is correct you will need to buy the Kodak as the Hi-Ti does not print out A4 size.

I have contacted Hi-Ti direct and they are working on an A4 model and they hope it will be available maybe next year.

I have checked the prices in the UK and the Kodak is more expensive to buy and run.

hope this is useful

Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 5:24 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16
Default

Ian, Thank You for your reply. My concern was about the price and as you said the kodak is expensier to run and buy than the hiti; so i think that price will be the point on wich to focus to make a decision.

Do you, as a hiti consumer, tryed or saw any kodak 1400 print?? did you have the chance to compare output quality??

I like the kodak one because it has a background on top quality printing but being so spendy i'm considering the hiti and scale down my proofs from A4 to 8x6 wich is a similar size but not quite the same.

I have a question regarding the back side of the hiti paper: does it say something like: "this photograph was printed using HITI Special paper"?! or anything refering to the printer's or paper's brand?! (you know how people is brand oriented, customers always ask for the Kodak stamp on the back....argh).

Sorry for the hundred questions, but im really interested in buying a subdye printer, i will apreciate any other information you think its important on buying the hiti.

Cheers!
Aldans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 5:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
IanWgglswrth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 410
Default

Aldans wrote:
Quote:
Ian, Thank You for your reply. My concern was about the price and as you said the kodak is expensier to run and buy than the hiti; so i think that price will be the point on wich to focus to make a decision.

Do you, as a hiti consumer, tryed or saw any kodak 1400 print?? did you have the chance to compare output quality??

I like the kodak one because it has a background on top quality printing but being so spendy i'm considering the hiti and scale down my proofs from A4 to 8x6 wich is a similar size but not quite the same.

I have a question regarding the back side of the hiti paper: does it say something like: "this photograph was printed using HITI Special paper"?! or anything refering to the printer's or paper's brand?! (you know how people is brand oriented, customers always ask for the Kodak stamp on the back....argh).

Sorry for the hundred questions, but im really interested in buying a subdye printer, i will apreciate any other information you think its important on buying the hiti.

Cheers!

Aldans,

The back of the paper has the HITI logo and then in smaller writing it says Hi-Touch Imaging Technologies. I've scanned the back of a picture in. The ink is not this clear, I'vejust altered it so you can see it. Its very light coloured ink so you can hardly see it on the actual paper.

I didn't see any other Dye-Sub printer, I ordered this as a free 7day trial for my father to try as he wanted a new printer. He really liked it but didn't have the money so I tried and used it.

I was so impressed with the results that I kept it. I can't really comment on any of the other Dye-Subs as I've not tried them. I would say that it is nice to have on board card slots on the Hi-Touch as it means you don't have to use a PC to print out the photos. The hand held remote is really very good for cropping and doing basic adjustments it means you can take the printer anywhere.

If you contact http://www.Hi-Ti.com they should be able to send you a sample picture.

I think the quality speaks for itself so I wouldn't bother about brand names.

Cheers Ian
Attached Images
 
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:16 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16
Default

Wow Ian, thanks for the trouble of scanning the back of the pic!! I already went to HiTi's website and asked for sample pictures, I hope this will help me :S 'cause im really confused right now.

I would like to ask you about some issues I read about the HiTi 730PS; other user in this forum said that his prints would come out really blury and with dust and scratches, did anything of this happened to you??

Well, if anybody saw or owns a Kodak 1400 i would really apreciate if you let me know.

Cheers!
Aldans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
IanWgglswrth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 410
Default

Aldans wrote:
Quote:
Wow Ian, thanks for the trouble of scanning the back of the pic!! I already went to HiTi's website and asked for sample pictures, I hope this will help me :S 'cause im really confused right now.

I would like to ask you about some issues I read about the HiTi 730PS; other user in this forum said that his prints would come out really blury and with dust and scratches, did anything of this happened to you??

Well, if anybody saw or owns a Kodak 1400 i would really apreciate if you let me know.

Cheers!

No all of the prints I have done have come out fine, except one when I changed from one paper size to another the top sheet had a couple of dust marks on it.

I really need to buy seperate sheet cartridges so I can keep the different paper sizes in their own cartridge, all I need to do then is swap cartridges and the paper is kept all covered and clean.

I have read that others are getting a lot of dustthat is the only real problem with Dye-Subscan't takeit. Hi-Ti do sell dust covers for outfeed and the slot at the back where the papermoves in and out to try and remedy this.

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:47 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Setiprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 484
Default

ALDANS- I own the 640PS and the 730PS. I have run hundreds of prints through both units.

Quality can't be beat ! 4x6 cost is about $.28, 5x7 $.80, and 6x8 $1.00

As mentioned - you will occasionally get a dust speck - this can't really be avoided if you have to leave the printer uncovered. Not often but it happens.

Operation and reliability are first class.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:23 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1
Default

One word of warning if you are a Mac user. For some reason the 640PS (and this may apply to the 730PS as they use the same technology) does not print accurate colours when printing from Photoshop on a Mac. Reds, greens and yellows print too saturated and in most cases the reds come out orange. Steve Eccles at Hi-Ti in the UK has recreated this problem with sample images and prints that I sent to him.

Printing directly from a card is fine, just not via Photoshop on the Mac.

Simon
sclamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:45 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1
Default

I own a HiTi 631 and have the same trouble with photoshop with pc. The colors don't match the screen. If I shoot my camera in raw, then edit with photoshop and print, the color is way off. If I shoot in jpg and print right from the card the colors are good. I've spoken to everyone I can at HiTi, they even sent me some color proflies to try, and can't seem to get anywhere with it...........The Kodak 1400, on the other hand, I have on order. Before I ordered it. I sent Kodak a few files, they printed them and mailed them to me...............they look great.....can't wait for it to get here!
weiseguize3900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 4:55 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
IanWgglswrth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 410
Default

sclamb wrote:
Quote:
One word of warning if you are a Mac user. For some reason the 640PS (and this may apply to the 730PS as they use the same technology) does not print accurate colours when printing from Photoshop on a Mac. Reds, greens and yellows print too saturated and in most cases the reds come out orange. Steve Eccles at Hi-Ti in the UK has recreated this problem with sample images and prints that I sent to him.

Printing directly from a card is fine, just not via Photoshop on the Mac.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I've just read your posts on the Hi-Ti forum. Did you get your problem solved? have you got the new "adjuster" software yet?

I think this is just a MAC problem?, I have only adjusted a few prints in Elements and they have printed out perfect.

Well the colours match the screen, but the printsmaybe a little darker, I can't say for sure as I have not calibrated the monitor.

Cheers Ian


IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.