Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:38 PM   #1

Hi,

Have looking at different printers and had my mind set on a dye sub-for 4x6 photos, but after looking at Wilhelm research into print life it seems that the dye subs rate on the low end-about 7-10 years. Although I have read Steves review on some of the dye subs and he lists them as archival quality and lasts longer than traditional lab prints. Any ideas on what to trust or do I just go with a HP 8150 and call it a day or night.:?

Appreciate all replys,

Happy :|,

norma
chopper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:32 AM   #2

Your guess is probably as good as anyone elses.. :?

Wilhelm research's tests are accelerated tests - there's some correlation between them and real-life, but in real-life there's a lot of other factors to take into consideration..

As well as the usual suspects like Ozone, UV light and so on, in a 'home' environment there's an infinite number of other things that can affect print life - moisture, household chemicals, fingerprints, kids.. etc. etc.

..so its really a matter of you pays your money and you takes your choice. Common sense tends to say that any printout with an 'overcoat', like dyesubs and the newer pigment inks+gloss coats should last longer from any physical damage, but unless the colorants used are long-term stable, that may be of any use.

Like most things - its really a bit early to say exactly whatprints will still be around in 30 years time... we may all be surprised.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:32 PM   #3

You can trust Wilhelm's data on longevity as far as a relative guide. He is the acknowledged expert in the field.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote