Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Feb 20, 2005, 3:26 PM   #1

Ok, I was about to buy a CP-400 today when I decided I'd better look at all options and found the HiTi 640PS. Now I'm confused :?

My main use for this would be for simple 4x6 pictures to give to relatives and friends. So no high output requirements. I have to say, Canon has some neat different types of photo papers for their dye-subs but all of their supplies seem much higher priced than the HiTi.

Has anyone used either of these to print holiday cards or other special types of layouts? Also, I assume that these pictures can be cut afterwards just like a standard photo lab pic?

I've also thought about splurging for the 730PS but to be honest, I don't see that I'd print that many 5x7 or 6x8 photos to justify the extra $100 price (although the speed of the 730PS would be nice).

So I guess I'm just looking for comments and opinions before I plunk down the cash. Also any great deals? I see BuyDig sells the 640PS for $221 (so only about $70 more than the CP-400 which is $149).
MikeFrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 5:10 PM   #2

Hi,

I have the Canon CP220 and the HI-TI730ps.

Both are good, but I prefer the HI-TI. The remote LCD on the HI-TI's makes it simple to adjust the prints (PS models only)

You can do a little adjustment with the canon but thats using the LCD on the camera when printing direct, unless you connect to the PC then you can use any of the image editing suites and then print off to any of the printers.

I also use 5x7 size paper alot on the HI-TI as I just prefer that size print. I have printed some out at 6x8 but these go into frames for hanging on the wall.

After using the Canon I just wanted an affordable dye-sub that would do bigger prints so the only one I could see that fit the bill was the HI-TI.

I'm very pleased with it and have had no problems although mine is slightly covered under the computer desk, I say this as dust can be an issue, I've had it happen once but that's when I was changing paper/ink sizes over. And luckily it was only on one sheet of paper and it was on the peforated edge that you pull off after printing.

I do think the HI-TI paper feels a bit thicker like a "proper" lab print but other than that they both give excellent quality prints. The speed of the printers are ok but the processing time is quite long soI don't thinkspeed is much of an issue.

The big advantage you have with the HI-TI is you can put the memory card into it to read the photos this is much better imo so you don't drain the batteries of your camera.

Good luck

Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote