Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Apr 4, 2005, 5:41 PM   #1

I called Calumet today to order a P-440 and was told it was out of stock and they showed it was being discontinued by Olympus. Does anyone know anything further about this? I'm a bit concerned now about buying one if there is a possibility that paper and print ribbons will be hard to find in a year or so. I know there are a ton of these printers out there and demand for supplies will exist but sometimes that's the manufacturer's way of making you upgrade.

I didn't see any type of replacement item introduced at the electronics show this year and that puzzles me. With this printer being such a hot item I can't imagine just gettting out of the market.:?

Gary
garyalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:24 AM   #2

I have the same concern. I was planning on purchasing that printer and I spoke with an Olympus rep after B & H told me it was discontinued--they said that they are going for the general market who is only interested in smaller size prints. I wonder as well whether there will be issues with purchasing a printer that is discontinued and does not have a newer version to be released.

Deb
TAO DESIGNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:46 PM   #3

I ended up buying it and am very pleased with the results. My main concern is supplies but from what I understand there are probably enough users to keep demand for paper and ribbons high for years to come. Let's hope so.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:41 PM   #4

Contacted Olympus today about the 440 and they are not making it any longer.

Woody
Woodyphotoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:13 PM   #5

Supplies shouldn't be much of an issue as the P440 was build by Mitsubishi and their current 3020 probably uses the same ribbon and paper.

enjoy!
ThermalGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:34 AM   #6

So how can I be sure that the mitsubishi 3020 ink ribbon and paper might work in the Olympus P440 - I cant find any evidence looking on the WEB that they are the compatable?. Also does anyone know of any compatable paper to the Olypmus P440, I have been experimenting with a range of papers all terriblefailures but for the genuine Olympus article
paullb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:08 AM   #7

Adorama continues to stock paper and ribbon for this printer series. I ended up buying one and have not regretted it.

With the number of printers Olympus has sold to date, I would find it hard to believe that they would abandon the lucrative paper/ink market. For printer companies, that's where the money is, not the initial sale of the hardware.

Gary