Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old May 9, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1

I have a kodak 8500 and have had it for over a year. All of a sudden it is saying paper jam and not loading paper. This will happen over and over and never print the photo. Anyone else experience this? And if so, did you figure out a way to fix it?

Thanks!

Heidi
whaussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 3:19 AM   #2

Heidi, I'm using a borrowed 8500 that has the same problem, says paper jam but truth is it never even started to feed the paper. Owner purchased a brand new paper tray but the problem persists. I had used this same printer for a while last year and it was having the problem then. At that time it seemed to help if I taped the front end of the paper tray to keep it in a partially 'down' position. Have you had any success in solving the problem with your printer? JP
jwparkerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 11:54 PM   #3

Well now, the other one is doing it also. What is weird is they are about 1 year difference in age and one is at my house and the other is at my business partners home. We have to manually insert the paper and then it will work. I guess I better talk to kodak. Weird since we have had these printers for such a long time and used the heck out of them.
whaussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:38 PM   #4

We use(d) two of these printers. Same problem with both, paper jam when the paper hasn't begun to move. Maybe they should have a 'pre-paper jam function. Kodak statesthis modelis discontinued as of September 30, 2005. They will service them from one to three years from that date according to the warranty one has. There oughta be a lemon law. Our plan here is to replace them with networked color laser printers. For the higher quality color prints, when needed,our SONY UP-D70XR dyesub far surpasses the Kodaks.
John DuBois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 7:54 PM   #5

:idea:
hi, I solve the problem!
it takes a little bit of disarming because you've got to clean the rubber rolls that "pull" the paper, a pair of grey rubbers almost cilindrical with a flat side located over the top of the paper, and happens that you cant clean them properly if you dont disarm the printer. These rubbers must mantain their "stickyness" to be able to pull the paper properly and with the use they become dirty.
That is the problem, so take your screwdriver and some isopropilic alcohol and ...........good luck.
Comment:it's a real pleasure to disarm such a well thought machine

amoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 7:55 PM   #6

:idea:
hi, I solve the problem!
it takes a little bit of disarming because you've got to clean the rubber rolls that "pull" the paper, a pair of grey rubbers almost cilindrical with a flat side located over the top of the paper, and happens that you cant clean them properly if you dont disarm the printer. These rubbers must mantain their "stickyness" to be able to pull the paper properly and with the use they become dirty.
That is the problem, so take your screwdriver and some isopropilic alcohol and ...........good luck.
Comment:it's a real pleasure to disarm such a well thought machine

amoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:34 AM   #7

Thanks for your idea. I called Kodak and they verified that cleaning the flat roller would probably fix the problem. However, I didn't need to dis-assemble the printer. Just take an alcohol swab and reach in and clean it off. It worked right away.

For reference, I have one of the original printers, but only about 800

prints through the printer.

Also, the guys at imaginingspectrum.com -- said roughly the same thing, except they had even a simpler solution - use Windex. They said that these were very

reliable printers, and hadn't had any problems with them.

I know how frustrating the paper jam problem is - but what a simple fix.

redshifttwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:36 AM   #8

You might try the simple fix of cleaning the roller with an alcohol swab-

this fixed my printer immediately. The guys at imagingspectrum.com said

that these were reliable printers and hadn't had any problems.
redshifttwo is offline   Reply With Quote