Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jan 16, 2003, 9:23 PM   #1

Default Sony DPP SV-77 vs. EX 7. The difference is??

I've been reading the reviews, and I like the Sony SV-77. Then I see the EX7. But can someone tell me the difference between these two? Besides cost that is. Where does the difference in cost come from? I'm also looking at the Canon CP-100, (I have the S30), and the HI-TI Photo Shuttle. I like a little of all of them. Any thoughts? I'm still debating.

Also, is the pc connection kit for the cp-100 available aready, and is it supplied in the box now?

Also about the sony, would I need to buy a separate compact flash card adapter, pictures make it look like it's built in?

Sorry for the long post, but this is my first-newbie post, although I've been pouring over the reviews. What a helpful site this is.
SayCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:23 PM   #2

Santa brought me the HiTi 630ps for christmas and it is an amazing printer. Some have posted issues with blue and green haze, but I have not had this problem. I loaded the firmware updated for the printer before I started using it. The prints are exceptional. Read Steve's review.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 2:34 PM   #3

There are 2 main differences. The EX7 has a 3.8 screen vs a 3.2 on the SV7. Also sony added a new print size which can only be done by the EX7. I have the EX7 and love it. Though I only print 4x6 and SV7 would have been fine.
Yes you would need an adapter for your memory unless you have a memory stick. The adapters are fairly inexpensive.
DylanMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 6:51 AM   #4

...besides, EX7 has some image-editing capabilities.

By the way, was SV77 discontinued? For some reason it's unavailable at Sony web-site, (though it has nice price there - only 219$)
iiwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:48 PM   #5

Default Sony Dye Subs

As the owner of a Sony SV-55, I would probably recommend going with Canon or HiTi for your dye sub needs. The sonys give you excellent quality prints, but tend to be picky about the software. Sony is also VERY slow with driver updates and bug fixes.

I have particular trouble with my printer when printing from the following software:
Microsoft Digital Image Suite 9, Adobe Photoshop Album, Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album

From these packages, the pix end up with very bad colors. I've experimented with every possible manual colormatch profiles(for about $30 worth of paper) but nothing seemed to work. I have many programs that DO work--Canon, ACDSee, PSP8, Photoshop (no album). It would be nice if all worked, however.
(If anyone has ideas about this, I'm open to suggestions)

I got the sony for a song ($79) and am very happy with the good prints--as im sure I would be from any of the printers. All things being equal, I'd go with Canon (looks cheap tho) or HiTi.
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:31 PM   #6

The other difference is the newer version can read memory stick Pro. BTW, the older version also has the same built in picture editing capability. I think the only differences are a slight screen size difference, ability to read memory stick pro, and a third paper size.

I have the older version and love it. The paper is getting chepaer an cheaper and can be bought at Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA, and Walmart. Walmart is the cheapest by a dollar over Target and Best Buy.

chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:46 PM   #7

I have the Sony DPP-EX7 now and used to have the SV77 I think it was. I like the one I have now a lot as the quality of the prints is excellent. However, I still have one problem with this one that I had with the other before exchanging it for this one. This one also gives blown out whites or highlights. I would have zero complaints with it otherwise. I just always have to use my ink jet if I have a print with bright areas. Yea, that is a pain. Sony has not addressed this and I missed it have they?
pcimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:24 AM   #8

Question?

Anyone using the SV-77 on the Mac OSX?

If one install tha driver for EX7 on the Mac could they run the older SV-55/SV-77 on the Mac with the EX5/& driver?

Regards

Zip

www.zipsphoto.photoreflect.com
Zip Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:29 PM   #9

I was also wondering this. Has anyone tried to install the driver for the SV-77 on OSX for MAC or is this futile?
galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote