Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Oct 16, 2005, 4:06 PM   #1

Are these dye sub printers better than inkjets for image quality ?? i ask as i want to get a printer to do photo quality prints and its a toss up betwwen one of these dye subs or a high quality injet like the canon pixma ip6000D or the ip8500.

Couple of questions about dye subs aswell as i dont really know much about them...

Can i use any photo quality paper (as i have some fujifilm 6 star glossy 6"x4" that i got on the cheap, although it does say injet on the front) or does it have to use a special paper?

They dont use ink carts they use ribbons right ? and is it just one ribbon ?

How much do the ribbons cost and the same with the paper ?

Can you get any dye subs that can do A4 pages or 7"x5" or do they only do 6"x4"?

How long does one ribbon last on avgerage ?

Last of all, are they cheaper to run than a inkject ?
Jedi Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:34 AM   #2

I bought a Koday Professional 1400 It will do wallets up to 8x12. I found that I didn't care for their software much so now I print to it from Photoshop, which has a picture package feature or you can do custom sizing.

It only prints on 8.5x12 or 8.5x14 paper so to do 4x6s you have to do a custom sizing job in PS and then cut them out. The prints are of very good quality.

You buy "kits" that include enough ribbon for the number of sheets of paper in the package. It's pretty slick actually, except for all of the custom sizing and cutting.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:00 PM   #3

Jedi Master!

I have the HiTi 730PS as I wanted to print various sizes.

This printer will print 3 different sizes:- 4"x6" , 5"x7" and 6"x8"

You buy the paper and ribbon as a pack normally each pack will contain 30 sheets of paper and 1 ink ribbon cassette, this cassette will print the full 30 sheets of paper no matter what you are going to print.

Just checked a pack, the 4"x6" actually has 60 sheets of paper, 2 sealed packs of 30 sheets and 1 ink ribbon. The 1 ink ribbon will print all 60 sheets of paper!!

You can't use standard inkjet paper, has to be bought in a pack with the ribbon.

I have seen some printers that will print A4, but IMO they were expensive.

You can print black and whitephotos using the colour ribbon results are still, as with colour photos......excellent.

6"x8" photo paper 30 sheets £21.00 = 70p per print

5"x7" photo paper 30 sheets £15.00 = 50p per print

4"x6" photo paper 60 sheets £18.00 = 30p per print

The above packs all come with the ink ribbon cassette.

These prices may be lower now, copied this from a previous post I did some time ago.

HTH

Cheers Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 5:56 AM   #4

Thanks for both of your replys, could you tell me in your opinion are dye sub photos quality better than injet ? from what i have read they are plus you dont have to set up the colours(i.e. profiles) to get the correct tones.

From what i have been reading i think i will be pushing for a dye sub for a photo printer, proberly just one that does 6X4. I may if i can stretch to it get one like the 730 that can do 3 sizes.

@Ianwgglswrth, could you tell me on your 730 say you have the 6x4 ribbon in but want to print say 3 6x8's can you just take the first ribbon out, put the larger one in, then once printed the 3 6x8's take that ribbon out and put the 6x4 ribbon in.? Changing the ribbons aout wont damage the ribbons making them unuseable.
Jedi Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 3:43 PM   #5

Jedi Master,

In my opinion the dye sub does give a better result than the inkjet that I OWN.
I can't speak for other makes or newer types of inkjet as they get better all the time.

I would goto the HiTi web site and send them an E-mail asking if you can upload a photo of yours and ask them to print it out for you. Also goto the Canon web site they have a page where you can do this anyway, select a printer and upload your photo they will then post it to you.
This will then give you a direct comparison between inkjet and Dye-Sub from your photo.

If your in the UK try http://www.systeminsight.co.uk,I bought my 730PS from here and they will print one of your pictures out if you E-mail them. They are also very helpful and can give lots of advice.

Yes, you can change ribbons when needed EG:- you have been printing 4"x6" and you have the perfect shot and want to print a 6"x8"
Simple remove the paper AND the ink ribbon, then put in the 6"x8" ink ribbon and paper then print.
Then you can take the 6"x8" paper/ink out and put the4"x6" back in, no problem at all. The ink and paper will be fine just store it safe.

You have to remember that the ink ribbon stays with the paper it comes with in the kit.

Also I use resealable plastic wallets to put paper and ink ribbon in (2 plastic wallets per kit 1 for paper 1 for ribbon) these are all marked up so I know what ribbon goes with what paper it also stops the dust from getting on the paper or ribbon.

Dust is the only problem with Dye subs, I have only lost 1 print because of dust on the paper, from changing half way through! Hence I use the plastic wallets.

Some users have had problems setting up colour tones, but from what I have read they got it sorted with the help of HiTi customer support. Online user forum on the UK web site http://www.HiTi.co.uk

HTH

Cheers Ian

Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:17 AM   #6

Ian

I just boughta HiTI 730 PS but haven't got any colour profiles? Did you get colour profiles with yours?

Is there anyway you can email them to me pleeeeeeease ... am desperate.

Thanks at upenn_edu@yahoo.com
aligaudion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:42 AM   #7

aligaudion1 wrote:
Quote:
Ian

I just boughta HiTI 730 PS but haven't got any colour profiles? Did you get colour profiles with yours?

Is there anyway you can email them to me pleeeeeeease ... am desperate.

Thanks at upenn_edu@yahoo.com
Didn't need to do any of that!

Just connected the printer to my PC and away we go.

If you goto www.hiti.co.uk and click on support then downloads you should get a list of utilities and colour profiles there which you can download

Ian