Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Dec 4, 2005, 3:44 PM   #1

Can someone recommend an inexpensive dye sub printer (possibally under $200) that I can use to print 4x6 photos? I will be using it with and without a computer so I will need one that has slots for compact flash and also SD cards as I have both a nikon and kodak digital camera.

Thanks...

--- Dave
djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 10:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Kodak 500 would be my choice:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...0_printer.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:47 AM   #3

WHere is the best place to buy it and supplies in the USA? Looks like this is exactly what I want. Anyone have one? how do you like it?

djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Administrator

Did you look at my review of this printer? Near the end of the reviewis our Buy it Now box with links to at least 5 vendors.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:59 PM   #5

Best Buy is either clearing out or deeply discounting the Kodak PP300. It's regularly $120, on sale for $62. It doesn't have the LCD that the PP500 has but it can still be connected directly via PictBridge or to a PC. Does a great job, especially for the price. We got one for my grandfather to go with the Kodak Z740 he picked out. Due to the price we weren't expecting much other than ease of use (paramount for an 85 year old man) but were EXTREMELY impressed with the prints it made!

edit:

I'm pretty sure the PP300 uses the same print internal hardware (as well as the same print cartridges) as the PP500 that was reviewed, it just lacks the LCD, Card Reader, and PC-free editing. As long as your camera is PictBridge compatible you can use it without a PC by connecting it directly to your camera.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:12 PM   #6

The PP300 is now down to $50 at Best Buy. That is an AMAZING deal for the print quality you get if you can deal w/ the lack of LCD and card reader. Connecting to a PC or directly to a digicam works extremely well however.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:38 PM   #7

A canon SELPHI was $89 at best buy before christmas. has a built in cable to connect to the camera. Prints pics as good as the kodak 500. I was having a hard time finding supplies for the canon so I went with the kodak 500 even though it cost more. It has the 3 inch screen, a usb port for pictbridge cameras, card slots that read most of the cards out there and can be wireless or bluetooth enabled. All that and the availability of supplies made it seem worth the extra money.
hobbit91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:30 AM   #8

Dear All,

Don't worry to much about the cost of the printer itself (i.e. the fixed costs). Like printers in general, it's the variable coststhat determine the true cost of ownership.

Suggest you understand well thecost of ribbons & paper fordye sub printers orink cartidges and paper for injet printers before making a choice. Lord knows there are a lot of outrageously priced ink cartridges out there.

P.S. the Olympus P10 is a dandy dye sub printer if you are happy with 4x6 prints.

Steve

Asmera, Eritrea
Steve Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 10:47 AM   #9

I got the Olympus p-11 for $128 at Digital Foto Club website and there's a $50 rebate from Olympus!! It's still in the box...didn't try it out yet...
Steve Walter wrote:
Quote:
Dear All, <<snip>>
P.S. the Olympus P10 is a dandy dye sub printer if you are happy with 4x6 prints.

Steve

Asmera, Eritrea
bubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:31 AM   #10

How long does the ink cartridge last, how many prints can you get out of it?
KrazyFool is offline   Reply With Quote