Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Dec 17, 2005, 4:52 PM   #1

Hi, I've just boughta Canon Powershot A620 (after reading reviews here) andwant to buy a photo printer which will do the camera justice. Having read all the reviews the thermal dye process sounds the way forward. Will the Kodak 500 do the job or would I be better with a Canon Selphy (I'm put off by lack of editing options/LCD screen) or should I upgrade to a Kodak 1400 or a HiTi 730PS. To be honest I would like the option to print 5x7 but it's a lot more money ... is there a significant difference in print quality? Thanks.
liz4855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2005, 7:59 AM   #2

Hi,I am in nearly the same situation purchase-wise.┬* Two new digicams and looking for a way to print 4x6 and occasionally 5x7 at home.┬* I have now visited every sample printer in town and tried two test prints on each.┬* done is a flower arrangement and another a picture of my daughter for skin tones. I use the defalut settings with no enhancements and straight from the card unless this was not available.Keep in mind this is a quick and dirty test by a true amateur, or less.I was able to try a Canon cp200, which I own,┬* a selphy 810, epson 4x6, olympus p10, hiti 610?, hp 8250, and hp 475.Mechanically, the Kodak 500 is perfect.┬* Easy menus, big lcd, dye sub,┬* fast enough and low cost per print.┬* But┬* both samples I tried, at two different stores, resulted in colors that were clearly unrealistic.┬* At first they look great -- warmer and brighter, a definite wow factor.┬* But on second look┬* my daughter looks like she has a sunburn.┬* ┬*I thought the enhanced color option was on, but it wasn't in either case.I'm sure this can all be adjusted in a menu, but I don;t want to do this each time I print.I was disappointed that the HiTi colors were a little washed out.┬* It looked like it needed more contrast.┬* Easily adjustable it seems and still may be worth it for the matte effect and 5x7 options.At first i liked my Canon cp200 best but now on review it seems too contrasty.┬* The Selphy┬* 810 was better at contrast, but too warm also.┬* and I really don't want inkjet.┬* Also, I got different results when printing on the 810 from the CF card than the Canon A80 camera via USB.The epson seemed to have the best color accuracy and reasonable contrast, but i really need to be able to hit the print button and come back later without worrying about the prints sticking to each other or needing to be laid out to dry.┬* and BTW I was surprised at how long the HP 8250 took to print a 4x6.┬* nearly 2 min vs the advertised 14 secs!I finally found an Olympus p10 at CompUSA.┬* The p11 just came out and claims a 33sec print time.┬* The results were OK.┬* Not as much contrast as I would like, but very close.┬* And the p11 may have a software upgrade .┬* it's the best set and forget printer since the finished prints eject on top and finish ready to use. But it has no LCD, no card slots and no in unit menus┬* as far as i can tell.┬* So not ideal for me.As you can tell, you can drive yourself crazy doing this and still not get very far.┬* I'm thinking of getting a p11 and trying it out for a while with the new cameras.┬* There is a $50 rebate until Jan 31, so the entry price is not too extreme.┬* If it's too inconvenient I still may get the Hi Ti 730s and see if making the adjustments is not too cumbersome.┬* Maybe one can just load the card and always turn up the contrast a touch and reach a default┬* start point that's close enough for home snapshots.Sorry to be so long winded, but maybe you and others can benefit from my running around.Happy Holidays everyone,and Thanks┬* for the Great Site Steve.Dan B┬*
dmbcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 8:01 AM   #3

What happened to my paragraph breaks???Sorry for the dense block of text.┬* I'm clearly a newbie to this message system.DanB
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:35 AM   #4

Hi, thanks for the indepth analysis, disappointing about the Kodak prints! I've found it harder here to find test printers (rural Scotland ... ) .... The Canon Selphy CP710 seems to get better reviews than the CP200 so that may be worth another look, unfortunatley it has almost no editing facilties so would need to be used in confunction with Photoshop etc. Good luck with your quest, I'll be interested to know how you get on. Liz
liz4855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 2:46 PM   #5

Hi,

I have the HiTi 730Ps and find the prints very good!.
It is fairly expensive but being able to produce 5 x 7 and 6 x 8 is well worth the extra money in my opinion.
I did have the Canon CP200 but find the HiTi much better to choose and edit pictures, as you are not relying on the camera's LCD display and hence battery power as with the Canon.

The colour, contrast is very easy to adjust.
Put the memory card in the slot pick a photo on the LCD screen, then press the edit button on the remote control. Amenu will pop up with brightness, contrast, colourR/G , colour B/Y and sharpness.
By selecting one of these functions, the photo will be displayed with a slider bar below it moving left/right increases or decreases the setting.
You can see the picture changing as the slider moves, has to be said though you can't really tell on the sharpness as the screen is too small.
These adjustments will only apply to the photo you have selected and this will print out with the adjustments.

By going into the setup menu and selecting printer setting, you have an option "printout setting"
Selecting this will then let you choose a photo and you will adjust the settings as described above. However when you press save these settings will be stored andusedon all photos.

Very easy really, sounds difficult but it's not.
Good options though, to be able to adjust each photo or store settings and apply them to all the photos. Not only that but this is all done using the remote control and not connecting to a PC.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:24 PM   #6

Thanks Ian,I probably just printed on an unadusted 730ps.Dan B