Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:28 PM   #1

Some help on this please. I would like to know from any one useing the Kodak 1400 if they can tell me if it does ok printing with words on the prints. I take photo's at a local flea market and also do some custom work for people by puttingsaying or even putting their name's and date on the print for them. Example, is like a couple's picture taken and then put a valentine overlay on it for them with hearts and then put their name inside the hearts.

Presently use a Hp1115 inkjet that I have had for about 5 or more years but I would like to have something that I don't need to have them wait on their print to dry at least 15 or 20 minture so they can then take it home an frame a day later. It would be nice just to hand them a print an let them go or be able to sale them a frame to help boost my sales.

Oh and 1 other thing. Would it work useing Adobe Gamma or will I need to buy a calabration software. I am working on a tight buget.

Any help or suggestionon this would be appreciated. :?

Thanks,

Richard

RMR52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:12 AM   #2

Anyone out there.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:30 PM   #3

I have printed contact sheets with my 1400 with text under the picture and it prints okay. I haven't try text on the print, but I would think that it would do just fine.

Adobe Gamma is just okay for the tight budget. If color accuracy is a real issue, then you need t ouse a hardware calibration system for your monitor. I have used Spyder and it does a good job but is very time consuming - takes about 45 minutes to calibrate my laptop monitor.

I alos have a Lacie 321 and bought the Lacie Blue Eye Pro calibration system for it. That one does an awesome job and is much easier to use. It was also more expensive, by about $100, at about $350.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:38 AM   #4

dboarder

Thank you for your response to my question. Your information was very helpful.

I hope to have this printer very shortly.

Thanks

Richard
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:44 AM   #5

You're welcome.

The printer does do very nice prints. You might want to buy yourself a rotary paper cutter as you will be doing a lot of cutting and trimming. There are only 2 paper sizes. 8.5x12 and 8.5x14. You can print any size that will fit on those like 8 wallets, or 4 4x6s. But then you have to cut then out. Doing this with scissors is quite tedious.

Also be sure to keep the printer in anarea as free of dust as possible. That is pretty much the only thing that can cause problem (blemishes) with your prints.

The software that comes with it is a bit lacking. Even though you can fit 4 4x6s on a sheet of 8.5x14, the predefined "packages" in the software don't include that particular layout. In fact, for 4x6 they only list a layout woth 2 on it which is a big waste of paper. I finally started using Photoshop to custom build my layouts.

Good luck with your new printer
Old May 30, 2006, 8:34 AM   #6

My problem is getting 4 4X6 photos to print out on the 8.5X14 paper. I tried my photoshop I have and it only lets me pick 8X10 print area or 8X16 or something retarded like that. Any help with this subject is appreciated...
Scolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 9:23 AM   #7

You have to create a new document in PS at say 8x13 inches. Then you can resize and rotate your imagesif needed and copy and paste them to this document. It is not a quick solution but it works. You might be able to create an Action to do at least some of the work. I just now though of that :idea:

The next time I need some 4x6s I might give that a try.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:20 AM   #8

Use publisher and set-up a four 4x6 template sheet. After that, make a template for two 6x8 also. Make different combo sizes also. You have control.
xxxCameraBuff is offline   Reply With Quote