Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:08 PM   #1

I have been following various discussions re: dy-sub printers but I have not seen anything regarding monthly duty cycles. Specifically the Hiti's and Kodak 1400.

How many prints can I expect to print before I overtax the printer. I need something that will print between 1600 - 2000 prints per month and I can't afford the high end Kodak's.

Ay help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Gary
mugshots04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:56 PM   #2

I don't have any experience with the Hiti's but have used various Kodak printers quite a bit, and really can't imagine running that many prints through a 1400. Kodak considers it a low volume desktop printer.

But, it does come with a one year warrantee... for the low price, I'd give it a try. Worse case, it burns out, Kodak repairs it under warrantee and you sell it on eBay and buy a more robust printer.
ThermalGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:34 PM   #3

Thermalgary,

thanks for the reply but I really need to know of a printer that has that type of capacity. I would really hate to be working an event and have the printer die on me.

I usually would like to have two of everything I need in order to keep things running smoothly. if anybody can help be, I would sure appreciate any help I can get.
mugshots04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:32 AM   #4

I work for a company that sells dye-subs to event photographers and they can certainly handle high work loads. The Kodak 1400 has some reliability issues so I would probably recommend the Mitsubishi CP3020 over the Kodak if you want A4 prints, although the Mitsi is a bit more pricey.

The HiTi 730PS is very reliable and just keeps churning away and I would certainly recommend that. If your out put is high enough I would recommend the Mitsubishi CP9550DW too.
Drexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:44 PM   #5

I have owned and used quite extensively for over two years a Kodak 8500 dye sub printer and have never previously experienced any problem whatever. The print quality is superb as well as the reliability of the printer. The cost of each 8 X 10 print is predetemined because the print media is sold in rolls designed to, and do, make exactly 100 prints each. Additionally, you do not have the problem of one color running out before another or in the middle of a print which could result in the loss of paper as well as ink.

Bajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:04 PM   #6

My wedding photographer subs out his photo printing since it is cheaper and less labor intensive.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:56 AM   #7

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
My wedding photographer subs out his photo printing since it is cheaper and less labor intensive.

Many Event Photographers find they sell loads more prints if they can print them on the day to take advantage of impulse buying.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:29 AM   #8

you will be better of spending more money on a printer which is faster and more reliable like the mitsubishi 9550 or even an olmec or copal printer :|
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 7:29 AM   #9

marvel wrote:
Quote:
you will be better of spending more money on a printer which is faster and more reliable like the mitsubishi 9550 or even an olmec or copal printer :|
Depends on the size of prints you want to do. Those printers are great but they don't do A4.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:55 AM   #10

Dude!!!!! If you are printing 1600-2000 pictures per month, that should generate enough money to buy the city of Chicago. What do you mean you can't afford the high end printers. Seriously, at 1600 prints per month you would cut you cost in half if you bought the ML-500. That would save you at $1600.00 per month.
xxxCameraBuff is offline   Reply With Quote