Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Feb 10, 2006, 4:27 PM   #1

Hi, I am looking for a printer to only use for photos. Primarily 4x6. It can be portable but doesn't have to be. I use a 6 pixel digital rebel so the quality of print is important to me. I have read information on ink jets and dye sub printers and have actually became more confused. I am unable to print a comparison photo at my local retail stores. Quality of print as well as the cost of print is important. Retailers in my area suggest epson picturemate model as having the best quality but at the same time the retailers have no information on the cannon printers. Please give me your suggestions for the best quality photo printer and if possible the price per 4x6 photo.

Thank you,
Laura

tap100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:02 AM   #2

Hi-I have had the original PictureMate since December of 2004. Probably have printed about 400 shots since then. I can honestly say that any bad prints were caused by operator error-not the printer. I shoot an Olympus C8080 8 megapixel digicam-shoot in the 3:2 mode which is perfect for 4 x 6 prints. If you print your shots without severe cropping you should be fine. Any cropping will deteriorate your finished print. The paper/ink set costs about $28.00 for 100 prints. I have no experience with any Canon's ordye subprinters. I am seriously considering the Kodak 1400 because of the ability to print the larger sizes. Hope this helps-it is very portable-has a carrying handle and can print directly from memory cards.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3

I use the sony dye sub printer that only prints up to 4x6. spp-77 The prints are great, they rival the professional services. They are more expensive though. about 30 cents a print. You can print online for less than 12 cents a 4x6 through a service like snapfish or shutterfly.

Inkjet prints are great too, just kinda slow and they arent coated with a protective film like the dye sub or pro shots. I have found it easier and cheaper to up load and print through a service. I use the sony if someone wants shot or to and they are over visiting or whatever. Rarely will I use the ink in my inkjet to print an 8x10. My 2 cents

VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote