Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:39 AM   #1

I was curious if anyone had any experience with the Kodak 1400. Has anyone tried it?

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:21 PM   #2

I want one, and if it works as well as my KODAK printerdock I want one evan more.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:34 PM   #3

We got ours a few days ago. We also ordered a matte paper pack as well. The matte takes a little getting used to if you are used to traditional look but the prints are very durable. If you end up getting one do as everyone says and keep it covered and as clean as possible. Also keep the paper in the packaging it comes in to protect it from dust. With this printer, dust is bad.

If you get one, I think you will like it.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Administrator

The Kodak 1400 is an excellent printer, it's fast and producesvery durable prints. You will need a good rotary photo trimmer though to get rid of the excess paper on the leading and trailing edges of the print. Here's the way they come out.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:53 AM   #5

1400 printer is great for knocking out a few A4 prints at a time but if you are doing high numbers of prints you`ll be better off using a faster printer like the kodak 6850 or sony up-dr150 which is realy fast but they only do 6X8 prints so it is all down to the print size you want and your price range :G
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 6:54 AM   #6

Kodak 1400's are great when they work but I've used 20 of them and they do have issues. They sufer from dust contamination more than other dye-sub printers, there were some issues were firmware couldn't be upgraded if the 8.5x14 paper was used in it and currently it has trouble reproducing colours very close to white which hasn't been solved as far as I'm aware.
Drexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 1:28 PM   #7

I've run 350 prints on mine in two weekends. Prints come out very nice and have had very few problems.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:07 AM   #8

I have a 1400 and also an Olympus P440. They produce similar results and if you use a custom colour profile on both the results are about the same. Neither of them produce prints as good as say a top end Canon or Epson inkjet, ie the colour range isn't as wide from dyesub probably because of the 3 colour setup versus the 8 or 10 inks on an inkjet. Also, both these dyesubs suffer from colour bleed, especially reds.

I rarely use either of these now as the prints from my Canon i8500 just blow them away, even though they aren't waterproof like dyesub prints.
wingnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote