Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:07 PM   #1

I am getting into event shooting, primarily horse events, and need to be able to print quality images on site with a minimum of prep time. Primarily need to do 4x6 and 5x7's. I have an Olympus P400 for 8x10's.

It seems to me that the HiTi 730Ps would be the best, but I am reading that soooo many are having color trueness problems. Not sure what to do!:?

I am of the opinion that if a client is going to pay a good bit of money for a print, that the print should not only be of high quality but have durability, and thats why I have stayed away from inkjet prints.

Would appreciate your advice.

thanks,

Rjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:15 PM   #2

Ah come on, I really do need help here.
Old May 1, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3

Hi Rjeff,

Sent you a PM, you can't really use system insight as they are a UK based company.

Maybe a bit expensive to send it back.

You say you want to do 5X7 prints what others have you looked at?

If you want to print out at events do you want to be printing out then cutting the paper to size?

If not then look for a printer that will use the correct size paper.

I would recommend the HiTi as I have one and have been very impressed with it.

THe customer service is very good too, should you have an issue with the colours

Regards Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 4:35 PM   #4

Thanks Ian,

Got your emails as well. thanks for taking time to share.

jeff
Old May 2, 2006, 4:16 AM   #5

I have just bought a sony snap lab which is a fantastic machine its realy fast and it has has a touch screen on the top which acts as a mini kiosk and the best bit is that it has color editing you can change to black and white or sepia ,red eye reduction and even crop ,zoom or rotate and the print cost is acceptable and the prints are laminated and durable i think you will find that is an amaizing machine
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 9:17 AM   #6

Personally I have used 730PS printers and they are great for event photography. All dye subs use virtually the same technology so there is not much that can go wrong. That's my opinion.
Drexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 9:42 AM   #7

I believe you work for a store that deals with a wide line of dye sub printers, is that correct? Does the HiTi have more or less problems than others in the catagory?

I have a P400 which I use for 8x10's but need a drop dead reliable dye sub printer for 4x6 and 5x7's. If all I needed was 4x6 I think I'd just go get a Canon Selphy and be done with it....

When printing on site, i dont need to be dealing with color issues..

Appreciate your input,

thanks.
Old May 5, 2006, 10:39 AM   #8

Well all the dye-subs printers have the technology to print 16.44 million colours, (perhaps the Kodak 1400 is an exception with some almost white colours not coming out properly), it's just that you have to hope that manufacturers have set up the software correctly in the first place.

I don't think any of them are set up perfectly to start with but then we profiled all of ours and they print perfect pictures now.
Drexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 6:08 PM   #9

Well, I bought and received the Hiti 730 ps. Up and running and printing in no time at all.......the prints are beautiful...

took it to the event this week-end (a horse show) and didnt even set it up to print due to all the dust and gravel in the air!!! go figure. I also bought the dust covers they sell and they are slick but would never totally solve the dust problem.

Have decided to put printer in van and cable from CPU to the printer to print and thus minimize the unbelievable dust problem... Not going to take my laptop back into such an environment...

Just an update, and thanks for the input, Ian. marveland Drexl!

Jeff
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:13 AM   #10

Hi

I just bought a 730PS Hi Ti - I've just been warned that I need colour profiles to make them loook good? Do you have icc colour profiles that you were given? If so, can you email them to me?

Alison

upenn_edu@yahoo.com
aligaudion1 is offline   Reply With Quote