Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old May 25, 2006, 8:59 AM   #1

Hey, hoping someone can please help me here.

I'm having a problem with my Epson R220.

I bought a mug press set a while ago (Mug press, printer, mugs, paper etc) however, I've never had much luck with making mugs.

What seems to be happening is I print out the design I want on my mug, (It comes out on the paper quite dull, but I'm under the impression that it should be dull) anyway, when I have pressed the design in the mug press the colours are all wrong. For example, the black looks like a very dark green, and the red looks like an orange colour.

I'm just wondering what settings I should be using?

Can someone please help? I'm almost going insane.

Thanks very much.
Dowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2006, 4:43 AM   #2

It sounds like it could be possibly a color management problem (what you see on screen isn't printing out on paper) or it could even be a clogged print head. Have you tried to do a print test to see if all colors are printing correctly? That would be my first guess. The colors seem like they are way off and color management isn't usually that far off.

Dave
pjporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 9:06 AM   #3

Hey Dave, and thanks for your reply. I have done a print test, and everything is fine with that. I've also put head cleaner on, and that hasn't made any difference either.

The colour management could be wrong, butI have tried different settings, and again, to no avail. I've tried doing over36 mugs now, and not one has worked properly.

I'm unsure of what else I can try, do you have any more ideas, please?

Again, thanks very much.
Old May 29, 2006, 1:35 PM   #4

Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone please have any more ideas?

Cheers :idea:
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:14 PM   #5

Don't know as my idea is worth anything, but...

1. Is your mug white? White, like the paper is white. No just sort of, "Yeah, it isn't yellow or green or anything like that," but pretty darned close to the exact same white as your photo paper? The printer is going to lay down colors that are somewhat transparent, and it is expecting the whiteness of the paper to reflect light back up through the colors. It is laying down colors based on what it thinks how white the paper is. If your mug is off, you'll get some off colors.

2. Could it be that your press isn't transferring all of the layers of color onto the mug? The colors are laid down in passes. If only the top two, and part of the third is transferring, then you won't see the same colors on the mug because part of them are left on the paper. I don't think this should be happening, as the paper should yield its substrate and move all the color onto your mug. But you may want to just check.

Now, if #1 above is the problem, you can play with your color correction. The most recent releases of Windows let's you assign color correction to printers that support it. Photo Shop let's you apply color correction. The printer itself may offer some assistance (I wouldn't know anything about your particular printer).

Is there nothing in your kit's instructions that address this? Or on the web site? I would have thought there's be some mention about using VERY white mugs, or how to adjust colors if you don't have them.

If the mug color is your problem, don't feel like you have a crappy printer. This problem occurs on ink jets and lasers, too. Run 96 white paper through one of those to print a photo, then print the same photo on 85 white paper. Not only will the colors be darker on the latter, they'll also be a little off, usually towards the yellow. The background color of white is very important.

3. Could it be your press? I don't know anything about yours, but just pursuing every avenue, does it use heat? Could the heat be damaging the dye colors?

P.J.

Pond-Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:16 AM   #6

Hey P.J, and thanks very much for your reply.

What you say about the layers of colours not transferring makes sense to me. For example, I printed my name out in black, on the paper it looked black... everything looked fine. I then put it around the mug and pressed it. When I'd taken the mug out and dipped it in water the print on the mug was a dark green, and the print left on the paper was also green.

Should there be anything left on the paper once its been pressed? Also, how do I check to see ifall layersare transferring as you suggested?

Thanks very much

KC.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 5:24 PM   #7

Hi Dowie
I just joined the forum and saw your post. I hope you'd find my reply useful.

General answers to your questions:

1- Dye Sub prints on the specially-coated paper are ALWAYS dull.
2- There should always be traces of the print out left on the paper after pressing to substrate.
3- Your "wrong" colors is an indication to lack of proper ICC profile for your dye sub ink/printer. Your ink vendor/manufacturer should provide one for FREE.

When facing problems like yours, it always helps to give more details as to your ink brand, press brand, pressing duration, brand of sublimation paper, substrate type/manufacturer graphics s/w you use and so on.

I hope the above would be of some help to you.

Good luck

Ayman

aadham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:44 PM   #8

Hi

I'm having a problem with my R220 Advanced Colour Management Settings...my computer recently crashed and the advanced colour management settings were lost and I don't have a copy of what they were...can anyone help? When I click on Properties, and then the Advanced button to the lower right of that screen,an alternate window pops up where I can set the Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow levels (which, at one time, were all set to different levels)...do anyone have the settings worked out for their R220?

Thanx for your time, and hope to hear from you.

Claudio

claudio2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:01 AM   #9

Hello, new to this mug pressing thing but going to have a go. please could somebody tell me where to get ICC Prifiles for a Epson R 220 first of all

Cheers

Phil
phildux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:15 AM   #10

Answerd my own queston see below

Tech

<rhink@sublimationcartridge.com> to me

More options

[align=right]15:22 (48 minutes ago)[/align]

Greetings,

The R220 is not a supported printer for doing sublimation, at least not
at the present time.