Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:16 PM   #1

A newbie questions? How should I fix a out of focus picture in Photoshop?
Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:33 PM   #2

>right click>delete

Sorry, but if it's out of focus there's not a lot you can do. If it's a little bit off you might be able to get it acceptably sharp using the unsharp mask filter. Post your pic and see if anyone can do anything for it.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:34 PM   #3

There are some "specialized" programs like FocusMagic but they're probably not much better than generic sharpening commands in regular editors.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:46 PM   #4

I have a pic of my cousin and I that is out of focus. Its a wonderful picture of us and I would love to have it cleared up, I have tried what I am capable of doing with no succes. I was hoping somebody here would be able to help me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bmxrdneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:30 PM   #5

Appears to be camera shake rather than out of focus.Should have used flash as 1/3 sec exposure is too long for hand held.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:12 AM   #6

is there any possible way to clear it up?? even if its just a little bit.
bmxrdneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:23 AM   #7
Administrator

You can make it look a little sharper by using some USM (Unsharp Mask), a feature available in many image editors. But, as previously mentioned, you've got blur from shutter speeds that are too slow. You needed to use a flash in that lighting.

Here is an example using DigiKam, a free image editor available for Linux. I'm running in SimplyMEPIS 6.0 (a Linux Distribution) right this minute. My PC is setup triboot, so that I select the Operating System I boot into (Windows XP Pro, SimplyMEPIS 6.0, Kanotix 2006-01-Release Candidate 4). I try not to use Windows anymore than absolutely necessary (very little lately).

I used the built in "focus fix" feature (which is not your problem, but it helps just the same) using the editor's default values.

Then, I used a healthy dose of USM to make it appear a bit sharper. I could repeat the steps above with slightly different settings and get it even better given time.

Edit... attached image replaced with second attempt using more aggresive settings (it's a tradeoff between perceived sharpness/unwanted artifacts).

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:51 AM   #8
Administrator

Step 1 - Refocus (this feature may not be available in most image editors, but it's not that much benefit compared to USM alone in this case)

Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:53 AM   #9
Administrator

Step 2 - USM (Unsharp Mask) - This feature is available in most image editors. I only tried a couple of settings combinations (using a relatively aggresive one for the photo above). You can experiment to get better results.

Attached Images

Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:43 PM   #10

I took a shot at this using Image analyzer, which has some pretty good deconvolution correction. The difficulty seems to be both camera shake and focus. After deblurring, I opened the pick up in Photoimpact and applied a soft spot effect to lighten up the main subjects and also blur the fore- and background in order to isolate the main subjects.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote