Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:20 AM   #1

Hello

I'm after an inexpensive /easy to use / good prog for resizing / removing red eye / removing blemishes/ lightening & darkening and all the other BASIC editing tasks.

Ihad a copy ofPhotoshop 7 on my old PC, butI didn't like it.....

........ I only used a fraction of what photoshop offered / the help menuwasn't very helpful / the photos were a different colour in photoshop to how they looked in Windows folders / to buy a copy is an obscene amount of money.

So all I need is a program that will do the basic tasks I require, but do them well without all the other gubbins I don't use, plus it must be cheap.

Thanks for any help

5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:08 PM   #2

I use Photoshop Elements 4.0. Easy to use and cheap. $90.00, and it will do all you want and more.
doitdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:26 PM   #3

Have you tried Picasa? It will do a lot of simple editing tasks along with being a good organizer and you can't beat the price, free.

I use Photoshop and several other programs but I always end up using Picasa for something sometime.

http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Dave

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:42 AM   #4

Thanks very much for your replies!!

Im currently checking them out and I think I will probably try both!

Are older versions of Elements ok?

Old Sep 19, 2006, 9:12 PM   #5

hey, try microsoft digital image suite.. u can get it for less tan $75{american} i love it.. does all that ur asking and more.. but not crazy like photoshop { i HATE photoshop} if u have any questions feel free to message me

LMC
luvmycanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:50 PM   #6

Check out http://www.faststone.org (free)
and Photobrush at mediachance.com
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:44 AM   #7

Thanks for the new replies!

sasc, you have just saved me some money!!!

Faststonehas all that I need, and its really simple, I also really love the invisible task bars that appear.

Until now iv always felt I needed to part with some cash to get something half decent, but now I know I dont :-)

Cheers sasc

Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:11 AM   #8

After messing with faststone last night, iv decided that perhaps its not the one for me.

If I want to change the brightness etc using faststone, the window you have to use is tiny, and I have no idea howyou can work with such a small window unless you don't mind having to keep hitting the preview button all the time.

Also, the instructions tell you not to use the edit functions, but rather to use photoshop, how strange is that?

I downloaded picasa and was really impressed with the image viewing, but again im not so happy with the editing functions.

I don't see the simple function of darkening images, I only see it for brightening images, what's up with that?!!

As with all editing programs iv tried, im still totally stumped when it comes to how best to view images on the monitor.... Why when you install the programs wontthey simplycorrectthemselvesto suit my PC rather thanme havingto mess with stuff called 32bit /16bit / automatic etc, stuff iv read about online and in books and still makes no sense.

I want to plug my camera in, edit the photos and print them, job done.

Please excuse my frustrations.

Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:53 PM   #9

It just gets better.

I cropped about 50 photos using picasa, and now when I view them on picasa the thumbs have chunks missing from them that I didnt crop, but the cropped photos look fineviewing them in windows