Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:59 AM   #11

gagetnut There are tons of these on Ebay. I just grabbed the first I saw. PSP XI is the latest version and just recently released. This is a CD-only released for sale with new equipment. So they send you a little something to make it legal – I got a blank CDR. But it is the full program and can be registered and updated with Corel. http://cgi.ebay.com/COREL-PAINT-SHOP...QQcmdZViewItem

Elements is hobbled to keep a market for the full Photoshop. Basics like actions are missing, and even Photoshop can't handle vector graphics because they want you to buy Illustrator. PSP is a more full featured program than Elements IMO.

I've used Photoshop for over ten years (since version 3) and CS is still my primary image editor. So I'm not anti-Adobe in any way. I picked up PSP X on Ebay so I could learn it and have some integrated vector abilities. It is an excellent program and you won't grow out of it anytime soon. If you intend learning image editing I think it is the best bang for the buck.

I find Gimp difficult to learn but admittedly didn't spend a lot of time with it. You might try the free Photofiltre that Herb listed, but it doesn't support layers which is basic to image editing.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:33 PM   #12

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:
....;For instance i like the "clarify" feature but i don`t see how i can batch all my pics with this feature ?

Or let`s say i`d like to convert them all to b&w but with a personal setting involving higher contrast or brightness & sharpness applying at the same time noise removal,
is ths possible ?

Another problem i don`t seem to understand is when i click on the "smart autofix"feature i can`t see the "ok" & "cancel" buttons at the buttom of the opened window therefore i cannot use this feature at all , do you know why this is so ? how can i correct it ?
As long as you want to use the same degree of clarify on each file, you can set up a script then run a batch process using the script. Should be the same with the other things you mention, but I haven't tried anything like that.

I can barely see the OK & cancel buttons on the smart photo fix from PSP- XI on one of my computers . It is a function of monitor resolution, I believe, since it is fine on my other computer that I run at higher screen resolution.
Unfortunately Corel didn't see fit to let that window be actually resizable.

So, you can increase screen resolution, if possible(1280X1024 works fine; 1024X768 will show just enough to click on, at least on my two machines.). If you can't boost resolution enough, then you can just hit your {enter} key for OK and just click the regular window close button X to cancel.

Hope that helps.
RuidosoDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:07 AM   #13

Well the resolution change doesn`t help on my computer but you are right that clicking the "ok"button solutions the problem , still i don`t understand that Corel hasn`t thought of making this more user friendly , it`s a big flaw in what is supposed to be a complete and accurate software utility.

As for my other problem , thank you for letting me know that i have to use the "script" feature for my batch work.

Unfortunately i seem to have a problem using this feature and you can maybe tell me where i am going wrong ?
I take a pic and i click on the "start recording" to record all the enhancements i want to make to my futur group of pics ..once this is done i click on "save recording" and give a name to my setting.
I leave my pic and i open a new group of pics, i then click on the "batch process" feature and choose the setting i just memorised and when i launch the lot :
My first pic (the one i used to configure my script) comes back onscreen and the whole process blocks. I get the message that windows has to shut down my program and do i want to send a message to microsoft concerning the problem ?

Where am i going wrong ? probably at the moment where i decide to record the script ?

Thank you for helping me.

Here is another pic i made with the "clarify" feature , i like the reflections in the sunshades
Attached Images

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:29 PM   #14

I use RAWSHOOTER which is free to download, and $99 for the pro version.

Easy to use and very effective.

Lately I've been using a MAC, and IPHOTO is pretty easy to use.

Howver, for Windows, you can't beat RAWSHOOTER for smple RAW photo editing!

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 1:13 AM   #15

I have Photoshop Elements 1 that was bundled with a Nikon camera, is it possible to buy the CS2 upgrade and use it?

The Pse1 is great but I would like more. Picasa from Google is a great free basic editor.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote