Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:05 AM   #1

At this point I haven't ventured into RAW yet. I shoot everything in jpeg right now, and I'm wondering if there are any reasonably priced photo editing programs available that areworth trying. I know PhotoShop is one of the best, but I don't have that kind of money to invest in it right now (I'm saving for more lenses:G). I do have one program that came bundled with a Canon Scanner I bought about 5 or 6 years ago. I believe it's called Arcsoft Photostudio 2000 or something like that. It works ok for basic stuff like red-eye removal and such, but I'm wondering if I can do better for under $50. Anyone know of any???
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:01 PM   #2

I don't know the cost of Paintshop Pro, but I've heard fairly good things about it. It has most (but not all) of what Photoshop has, but its much cheaper. probably over the $50 limit you list.

Picture Window is also cheaper (I don't know the cost) and is supposed to be quite fast and feature rich. I don't know much more than that.

My suggestion would be to check out irfanview and see if it meets your immedate needs. Its interface isn't great, but it's good enough. And its completely free.
http://www.irfanview.com/

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:57 PM   #3

Photoshop Elements is a very good program, I believe they are coming out with Elements 5 now. It runs about $100, but you may be able to find a rebate offer. This program did not fall too far from the tree, Photoshop is the gold standard, but Elements has almost as much photo editing capibilites as the photoshop does.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:45 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I'll have to look into both of those.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:55 PM   #5

Photoimpact or Corel Paint Shop Pro aren't bad and not too expensive. If you do venture into RAW the RawShooter Essentials 2005 is now available as freeware on the Internet.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:13 PM   #6

I've found that the easiest Photoshop program to use - by far - is Photoshop Elements 2.

You can find original installation discs for it on eBay at quite reasonable prices.

The main thing PSE2 lacks is fine color balance adjustment. But for that you can use other programs. I use PhotoFiltre for it.

PhotoFiltre is quite a small program & it's free. You can get it here -

http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm

You might even want to try PhotoFiltre one its own without having Photoshop Elements 2. PhotoFiltre isn't as powerful as PE 2, but it does quite a lot.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:10 PM   #7

How does FREE grab you for reasonably priced?

GIMP is considered by many to be a rather good image editing program. I haven't used it myself for a few years, but it does have quite a few fans who are serious photographers and they do good work with it.

I use Paint Shop Pro myself; Close enough to Photoshop at 1/6th the price ($100 download... Free trial) http://www.corel.com

Never liked Photoshop Elements; there are a few things it does very well, but the things I do regularly are a real hassle with the Elements interface. I have it on the computer, but only use it 4-5 times a year.

Last time I used GIMP, it seemed to be about equivalent of 3 generations behind Photoshop and 2 generations behind Paint Shop Pro.

Since it only costs the effort of downloading and installing, might as well give it a try:
http://www.gimp.org
RuidosoDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 4:56 PM   #8

I use PhotoPlus from Serif (www.serif.com). The latest version is 11, not sure of the cost, but they usually offer earlier versions at big discount and sometimes for free. Give them a visit.
I've never used PhotoShop, much too expensive. PhotoPlus does all the usual stuff and is easy to use. One advantage of PhotoShop, Elements and Paint Shop Pro is availability of third party manuals. Serif have good forums and newsgroup for their products. Unless you are a demaning professional, any of them will do all you want.
Dave Cohen
Dave Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:39 AM   #9

RuidosoDigital wrote:
Quote:
How does FREE grab you for reasonably priced?

GIMP is considered by many to be a rather good image editing program. I haven't used it myself for a few years, but it does have quite a few fans who are serious photographers and they do good work with it.

I use Paint Shop Pro myself; Close enough to Photoshop at 1/6th the price ($100 download... Free trial) http://www.corel.com

Never liked Photoshop Elements; there are a few things it does very well, but the things I do regularly are a real hassle with the Elements interface. I have it on the computer, but only use it 4-5 times a year.

Last time I used GIMP, it seemed to be about equivalent of 3 generations behind Photoshop and 2 generations behind Paint Shop Pro.

Since it only costs the effort of downloading and installing, might as well give it a try:
http://www.gimp.org
I wondered if you could tell me if this is possible with PSP Photo XI ?

Let`s say i took 500 pics and i want to apply a certain setting to all of them in a one click movement.

For instance i like the "clarify" feature but i don`t see how i can batch all my pics with this feature ?

Or let`s say i`d like to convert them all to b&w but with a personal setting involving higher contrast or brightness & sharpness applying at the same time noise removal,
is ths possible ?

Another problem i don`t seem to understand is when i click on the "smart autofix"feature i can`t see the "ok" & "cancel" buttons at the buttom of the opened window therefore i cannot use this feature at all , do you know why this is so ? how can i correct it ?

Until now only DxO v4 can do these things ..... but i don`t seem to be able to get the "clarify" feature affect from PSP.

Here is a pic before the "clarily" feature
Attached Images

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:40 AM   #10

Quote:
And here with the "clarify" feature
Attached Images

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote