Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 4, 2003, 4:36 PM   #1

Default Software for a newbie

Well, I've been looking at digital cameras, reading up here and other places. Guess I'll have to get some editing software. :shock: Not much idea where to go in this direction. I went to Costco today and they had the following software in stock:

Adobe Photoshop Album for 46.99
" " Elements 2.0 for 49.99 after rebate
MS Picture it Digital Image Pro for 48.99 after rebate
Printshop Deluxe Suite for 39.99 after rebate.

Will any of these give good results? My wife will be taking mostly snapshots, and I will be doing macros. She will let me pick the camera, (I would like the Canon D10, she would probably be better off with a point and shoot like the Oly C730 or C750).

I know software can be very subjective, and personal preference plays a big part, but I need to start somewhere.

Thanx,

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:12 AM   #2

I'd choose Adobe Elements - a fine package, which - if you like the layout and style in it - by time will take you all the way to Adobe Photoshop.

Elements is very easy to work with and grow with!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:04 PM   #3

Editor choices are subjective: my impression is that any of the major ones that sell for about $100US (full retail - often on sale) will do the job. I'd suggest adding PaintShop Pro to your list.

Before you spend any money, take a look at what you already have and/or freeware. Those are seriously limited, but will give you some experience while you are thinking about something better.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 3:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Before you spend any money, take a look at what you already have and/or freeware. Those are seriously limited, but will give you some experience while you are thinking about something better.

I would also add trying trial versions of any software you plan on buying. Most trial software is fully functional, just limited on the number of uses or time you can use it (normally a month or so).
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 6:12 PM   #5

I found a deal at Amazon. After all the rebates, I paid 29.99 for Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0.
I used to do alot of darkroom work in college, but have not had access to a darkroom since. I am really looking forward to "tweaking" images again.

Thanx to all who took the time to reply. I realise that the oldtimers see the same questions over and over, so I really appreciate the time each of you took to answer.

Ron
Old Jun 13, 2003, 6:11 PM   #6
JD

I went for the Amazon deal too. My Costo has a book for $23.99 called Photoshop Element 2 Solutions by Mikkel Aaland that is absolutely fantastic. It explains step by step all that Elements does so you can do it right along with the book. It even includes a CD rom so you can load the same pics to edit and modify with the book.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 8:24 PM   #7

Thanx JD - I"ll check Costc this weekend.

Ron
Old Jun 13, 2003, 9:02 PM   #8

I second JD's comments on the Mikkel Aaland book. Best Photoshop elements book I've seen. I keep it next to my computer all the time. The accompanying cd is a great learning tool.

Bill W.
bwarnke is offline   Reply With Quote