Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 15, 2006, 9:38 PM   #1

Any recommendations on a book to help me learn Photoshop CS?

I'm a total newbie and am quite concerned at starting at the bottom of the curve. I see that there is a Dummies book for this.....can I do better? :-?
cjbigcog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:38 PM   #2

get "The Photoshop CS2 book for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby. It is easy to read and understand and will really help you to understand what CS2 can do for you.

Ronnie,

Also go to: http://WWW.PHOTOSHOPUSER.COM and check out the NAPP. It is well worth the dues and if a member you will receive discounts as well as Photoshop user magazine. They also provide free tutorials for the Members.
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:43 AM   #3

This is also a great book to learn image retouching and corrections. Great detailed step by step intructions for the first half off the book. But you really do need to know the basicsonce you get into the later chapters as she begins to skip the step by and step and goes more into general process descriptions. . . .
Attached Images

soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:46 PM   #4

Can you use these two books without any experience with Photoshop CS2? What I mean is do they assume some basic knowledge to begin with CS2? If yes, are there any good basic step by step books and videos available?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:34 AM   #5

I don't have any experience with the second of these books, but I can say that you can be a complete PS Newbie and still use Scott Kelby's book.

Also, as mentioned about Photoshopuser, they also publish a video Podcast called Photoshop TV which is a free download with tips, tricks tutorials and a whole bunch of other stuff. Some will be way over the head of a beginner but it is all well taught so just about anybody can get something out of it.

There are also a lot of videos you can buy that will lead you step by step through Photoshop. Two of them are Total Training and http://www.watchandlearnphotoshop.com/.

I've never tried the Watch and Learn but I've used a sister series for Adobe Flash and I liked how it was done. Total Training will take you step by step from opening, creating new documents and closing the program all the way through the mroe advanced functions.

Also, search for Photoshop tutorials on Yahoo or Google and you will be amazed at all the free and usefull information available.

Good luck,

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 9:19 PM   #6

You can go to a regular book store like Barnes & Noble, Books a Million or Borders and they all have a large selection of books on CS2 that you can see before you buy.

There are plenty of books on CS2 that will probably be just what you would want.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote