Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:07 PM   #11

I have Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 Editor and I cannot seem to find the "layering" affect people talk about. Would it be worth it for me to change to Adobe as I am one that likes to PP photos and I find the current Microsoft program VERY slow at times. What would be recommended as an upgrade from what I have? Would the Photoshop Elements 5 be better and I like Infrared Photography as well.
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 1:29 PM   #12

if you are new to image editing you might do well to check out paint shop pro
for photo editing is probably second to photoshop but....
photoshop has become a very nested interface, with menus off of menus
thats ok if you grew up with photoshop because you know where to find everything
but for the nebie its a nightmare
on the otherhand paint shop pro has a very intuitive interface
and all the pluggins for PS i have work the same, also PSP has distortion removal that is inovative and very easy to use. the help files actually help too

just some other dope on it
recently Corel bought PSP from Jasc software
but the common speak is that version 9 of paint shop pro is the best, thats the last jasc edition

one more feature
you can automate everything in PSP, while you can to a point with PS, PSP i can load 20 images at a time, start the macro (to remove barrel distortion in this case) and walk away

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:46 PM   #13

What tools did you use to editthe girl with the leavespic???? My trial of PSE just ran out and I decided that I couldn't live without it so I purchased it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you
sharod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:46 PM   #14

annie57 writes: I have Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 Editor and I cannot seem to find the "layering" affect people talk about. Would it be worth it for me to change to Adobe as I am one that likes to PP photos and I find the current Microsoft program VERY slow at times. What would be recommended as an upgrade from what I have? Would the Photoshop Elements 5 be better and I like Infrared Photography as well.

I've seen a few "reviews" of DIS 2006 and the descriptions of it's capabilities are exercises in minimalism. If it has layering capabilities, no one seems to be crowing about it.

In my opinion, any editor that doesn't support layers and layer masking is strickly for weekend point 'n shooters who don't want any more than basic image manipulation capabilities. Layers and layer masking can open panoramic vistas of editing possibilities!

Also, IMO: yes, Elements 5 would be a major step up as far as image manipulation capabilities go. Plus, there is a large user base for Elements which means that there are lots of books and even free web tutorials to help you do anything that you want to do -- including various methods of simulating infrared photos!

Edit: By the way, that shot of the little girl throwing the leaves in the air is great! It might be even greater if the one leaf right in front of her face were cloned out.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:18 PM   #15

thanks for the information. I just dowloaded a free trial of the Corel Paint Pro to give it a shot. Is it comparable to the Adobe one mentioned?

Thanks again!!!
Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:33 PM   #16

I've never used Paint Shop Pro, but, I have heard from many others that it does most of what Photoshop does. And the price is waaaay more attractive. It will do whatever you want, most likely.

The availability of instructional material is quite good, and you can even probably apply most of the Photoshop tutorials with minor modifications.

I heard that you could download a totally free version of Paintshop Pro, but I don't know whether that's still valid.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:40 PM   #17

Grant:

Thank you for the information. As I mentioned, I have downloaded for a free trial period. It is just having the time to experiment?

Anne
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:42 PM   #18

find it hard to do the layering effects without a book to follow. The on-line tutorials are not that great!!!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:23 AM   #19

sharod wrote:
Quote:
What tools did you use to editthe girl with the leavespic???? My trial of PSE just ran out and I decided that I couldn't live without it so I purchased it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

For that picture I used the magnetic lasso with the multiple selction feature enabled. I zoomed in, lasso'd the leaves, and repeated the process until they were all surrounded.

I think I then right clicked, and selected the feather feature. I must add that I may not have discovered the feather tool when I did this picture, but I am using it now.

Either way...after that, I right clicked again and clicked on selectinverse. I then made the picture black and white and played with the different exposure levels until it looked okay.

Hope that helps...
MikeI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 2:58 PM   #20

I've done it a bit easier with elements. ( that is if you want to keep the original color.

I've put a black and white Pict over the same one in color and used the eraser tool to erase the part i wanted in color i just did one quick to show you. need a bit more precision but you get the idea .
Attached Images

julianne is offline   Reply With Quote