Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:46 PM   #1

I currentluy have Ulead photoimpact version 7 that is about 5 years old. It lacks a lot when it comes to adjusting photos.Photoimpact isnow up to version 12. For my application I don't know if I should upgrade to Photoimpact 12 or try Adobe Photoelements 5. My camera only shoots in JPEG and TIFF, so RAW is not important to me. I want to use the editor for adjusting portraits of family members only.I would like to be able to adjust skin tones, remove skin blemishes and wrinkles, and if possible change the backgrounds for the portraits. Can anyone tell me if either program can do this and which would be a better choice for my specific application. I will not spend the money for the full version of photoshop and feel it would be an overkill for my purposes.
Carroll B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:01 AM   #2

Personally, I would get on the learning curve and purchase PhotoShop Elements 5 ... a fine package that will do what you want and far more!

If you are looking for something free, try Picassa from Google. The other oft-suggested, PhotoShop-like program, the Gimp, has a STEEP and long learning curve. You will be more than pleased with Elements 5, or even 4 (around $50)!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:19 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'll buy a copy of elements 5.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:20 PM   #4

After the full Photoshop there are three programs that are considered about equal in overall competence: Elements, PhotoImpact and Paint Shop Pro. They all have advantages but you can do anything along the lines of what you mention in all three.

The only disadvantage to PhotoImpact is that it doesn't have as many online tutorials available as the other two. You should balance that against a new learning curve if you are already reasonable competent in PhotoImpact. And also against the cost difference between Elements 5 and a PhotoImpact upgrade. They will both do everything you need.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:26 PM   #5

Thanks slipe. I'm not all that good with PhotoImpact, and really only know the basics of it.Learning Elements will not be any different then learning a new version of Impact. I agree that there are probably a lot more tutorials for Elements then Impact and hopefully some plugins that will help me do more than could be accomplished with Impact.