Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:54 PM   #1

I use photoshop elements 3 on Mac.
I have a new grandaughter and have taken quite a few shots of her,
I have converted some shots of her to black and white (desaturated).
Now, she has the most beautiful blue eyes.
Is there an easy way to make a black and white print and make her eyes stand out nice and blue
Thanks for any helpGriff
(very very proud grandpops)
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:11 PM   #2

Griff, check out this tutorial: http://www.webworksite.com/colorize_photo.shtml

This lets you paint in whatever color you want on a B&W image.

If you still have the original color image, it might be easier to just open up the color version in PS E3, then duplicate the image. Now, on the duplicate -- which will appear on the layers palette as Layer 1 -- do your conversion to greyscale by whatever method you like. Now you have a greyscale image (Layer1) and a color image (Background Layer). Then, add a layer mask to Layer 1. I'm not sure of the exact way to do this in your editor, but in Photoshop you can click on a little icon at the bottom of the layer palette that looks like a dark rectangle with a hole in the middle (hold down the Option key as you click the Add Layer Mask icon to fill the layer mask with black), or you can select "Add Layer Mask" from the Layers drop-down menu and use the Paint Bucket tool to fill the mask with black. Now select white as your foreground color by clicking on the little black and white squares near the bottom of the tool palette so that the white square shows up in front of the black square.
Then, select the Zoom Tool and increase the size of your preview image large enough so that you can work easily on the eyes and then select the Paintbrush Tool and adjust the brush size small enough to fit inside the iris of the eyes. Hold down the right mouse button and "paint" over the irises of the eyes. This will allow the original image to show through the top layer and essentially, you are painting back in the eye color of the original. If you mess up, switch the foreground color back to black and paint over ares where you don't want the color to show through and this will cover them back up.
When you get what you want, choose Flatten Image from the Layers drop-down menu or from the layer palettes pop-up menu and then save the image as you like.

Sorry that I started taking some shortcuts in the explanation, but when I said -- a looong time ago -- that this might be easier, I guess I underestimated the disparity between doing something easy and explaining how to do something easy!

Having said that, it might be even easier to do this using the History Brush Tool, but I don't know whether Elements 3 has the History Brush!

Anyway, you'll get there using one of the above methods! :roll:

Grant

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:04 AM   #3

Grant
thanks very much for your reply I will give it a go
Griff
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote