Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1

I am using a Logitech cordless mouse right now and it really sucks for precision work in photoshop. I'm looking to replace it with a better one.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:06 PM   #2

For precision, I don't think you can beat a pen tablet like Wacom. My wife used a mouse for a while and I got her a Wacom tablet and she swears by it. She says that editing with a mouse now is like editing with potato.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:52 PM   #3

for precision work you really need a pen tablet and not a mouse.
dadikongbaduy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:29 AM   #4

dadikongbaduy wrote:
Quote:
for precision work you really need a pen tablet and not a mouse.
Are there any pen tablets that you would recommend?
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:31 PM   #5

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
Are there any pen tablets that you would recommend?
The main recommendation I would make for a tablet is to not consider a 4 X 5 (actually 3.75 X 5). If you map it 1:1 with the screen you don't have the control you need for fine work. If you have an interface with the ratio of pen movement good for small work you will find yourself always running into the edges. It is a step up from a mouse but not as much as you want.

Once you get above 4 X 5 in a Wacom they can get pricey. I have a 9 X 12 Wacom Intuos I bought from a moderator I trust on another board. It is pretty large and bulky and I only bought it because I needed extra reach for dual monitors. I think a 6 X 8 tablet is probably optimum for single monitor use. I used a 6 X 8 for years and it became limited only after I started using dual monitors. Artists prefer larger tablets, but I'm not an artist and 6 X 8 is fine for image editing IMO.

I have used the Aiptek 8000U 6 X 8 and found it sufficient. The included cordless mouse isn't great and the bundled software isn't super. But you can use the mouse you already have and I seldom install the software that comes with hardware except drivers when they add features over Windows like scanner and printer drivers. Target sells it online for $80 and it does a decent job. You can usually pick up a refurbished unit directly from Aiptek for around $50.

A better unit is the Wacom Graphire4 in 6 X 8, but it will cost you nearly twice the price. If you want the very best the latest Wacom Intuos3 is the tablet of choice but it isn't cheap.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the info, slipe. For that price, I think I'll just stick with a good, smooth mouse.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:43 PM   #7

I have the smallest (4x5") and cheapest Wacom tablet and am very happy with it for doing detailed editing - the basic trick is to enlarge the section being edited to take up almost all the screen. I am sure that for tablets, as many other things, bigger it bettter - but not enough better for me to spend a whole bunch of money for it.

If you watch sales, you should be able to find a smallWacom tablet for US$50-70. About the same price as theAiptek6x8" Slipe mentioned. I suspect that it is easier to use the bells & whistles with the Wacom, but either is well worth the price. Once you start using a tablet you will kick yourself for not getting it sooner.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:29 PM   #8

i have a tablet and pen and also a optical mouse. the optical mouse is very very good, much cheaper the a tablet and pen and very acurate, mice with the ball in the bottom are no good for fine work

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:38 AM   #9

I ordered a Logitech G5. I found a good deal on it, so it was hard to pass up.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:19 AM   #10

previously i used Logitech MX500 with 800dpi. and i found that it is acceptable. and i just bought a Razer Diamondback which is 1600dpi. it is very accurate and smooth.
normally i'll choose wire mouse because i found that wireless mouse is a bit heavy for me. for long time holding the mouse, my wrist will feel tired and pain. mouse pad also important, you can't see your mouse accurate if u use lousy pad.

i got no experience in pen tablet.
koshinki is offline   Reply With Quote