Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:20 PM   #1

Does PS elements 5 completely lack the ability to define user actions? If it has them, I can't find them.....can anyone help me on this?

Thanks.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:40 AM   #2

Evidently you can't create your own actions in Elements but you can import and use actions made for Photoshop. This is a good tutorial: http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dyn...hitepaper.html

Edit: I primarily use Photoshop but picked up a copy of Paint Shop Pro X on Ebay for around $30 delivered. It is a "CD only" version meant to be sold with new equipment, so they send you a useless piece of hardware to stay legal. It is the full program and registerable.

Actions is an example of Adobe's hobbling of Elements to keep a market for the full Photoshop. PSP X will allow you to record an action and apply it to an individual image or batch of images. They call it "Script' rather than Actions but it pretty much works the same way. I actually like the PSP approach a little better than Photoshop. You can pause in the middle of recording a script to mess around and see exactly what you want for the next step for example. You can also create a "quickscript" in the history palette that you can apply to other open images.

PSP also does a decent job with vector images. It isn't as good as a full vector program like Illustrator, but it at least isn't hobbled like Photoshop and Elements to get you to buy more Adobe products. I do prefer Photoshop but I've been using it for years and haven't spent a lot of time in PSP. If you want to be able to record and save actions it might be worth the thirty bucks. Since you know how to record actions you are probably familiar with Photoshop, and the transition isn't as easy as Elements.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote