Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:06 PM   #1

Hi,

Can someone please help me with Corel Paint Shop Pro XI.

I`m looking for a new software .... at the moment i`m trying out
Unlead PhotoImpact 12 ,Nikon Capture 4 , DXO Optics Pro V4.

I do like the PSP but there are a couple of features i don`t seem to find
in the soft , can you help ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:50 PM   #2

What features? PSP seems fairly complete.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:27 AM   #3

Let`s say i took 500 pics and i want to apply a certain setting to all of them in a one click movement.

For instance i like the "clarify" feature but i don`t see how i can batch all my pics with this feature ?

Or let`s say i`d like to convert them all to b&w but with a personal setting involving higher contrast or brightness & sharpness applying at the same time noise removal,
is ths possible ?

Another problem i don`t seem to understand is when i click on the "smart autofix"feature i can`t see the "ok" & "cancel" buttons at the buttom of the opened window therefore i cannot use this feature at all , do you know why this is so ? how can i correct it ?

Until now only DxO v4 can do these things ..... but i don`t seem to be able to get the "clarify" feature affect from PSP.

Here is a pic with this feature , i like it what do you think ?
Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:29 AM   #4

And here before it was applied.
Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:33 AM   #5

That looks like the contrast was adjusted. You could probably do that in PSP but I haven't used it in ages.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:31 AM   #6

You do batch processing in PSP the same way you do in Photoshop. You make a script (Photoshop calls them actions) with all the things you want to do in the process. Then apply the script to the batch. It is a little bit the long way round if you just want to do one thing, but it works for me because I usually have several things I want done – like defogging, lens correction, sharpening etc.

The one step photo fix in PSP executes as soon as you select it. It didn't do much for your photo. The smart photo fix includes some of the features of Photoshop's shadow/highlight but requires input from you, so it has an OK button to execute. Clarify has an OK button in PSP X. If it works the same way with user input an OK would have to be there in XI, but if it isn't you can always execute with the "Enter" key.

I've never used one button fixes on a photo and probably never will. So I'm obviously not the person to ask about which programs have the best one click fixes. If you are planning to learn image editing PSP and PhotoImpact are the best of the programs you listed.

I did this in Photoshop. Everything could also be done in PSP but the controls don't come as quickly to hand since I've been using Photoshop for ten years and just started with PSP. It took only a couple of minutes and would have required a learning curve in PSP. I do want to learn PSP better so I'll work on your photo later. I overdid everything a little for demonstration, but if you aren't dedicated to one button fixes you can have it almost any way you want it.

Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:11 PM   #7

I figured out the perspective in PSP. I was also messing with a lot of other stuff.

I also found out (I think) that if you don't have a green check mark to apply something in the tool menu you can hit the "A" key to apply things the Enter key doesn't work for. Enter doesn't work for the transform ("pick" in PSP) and the green check mark didn't appear. The A key finally applied the transform.

PSP seems to do most things well but it goes about things a little differently.

Attached Images