Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:02 PM   #1

I'm running Photoshop Elements 3.0, along with several other image editors like Picasa and Irfanview for simple things. I've also just installed DPP 2.2 which came with my dRebel XTi. But I use PE for more serious editing and printing. -- not to manage my pics because it loads too slowly for that -- only for image editing and printing.

The upgrade from PE 3.0 to ver 4.0 didn't seem worthwhile, but how about the upgrade to ver 5.0? Are the enhancements to the PE 5.0 editor worth the $70-80 upgrade price?

TIA. ~john
drjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:04 PM   #2

I've been wondering the same thing myself.

I'm not much interested in the catalog/organizational features, just the image manipulation and printing functions.

Any thoughts out there?

----------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 1:19 AM   #3

I still use Photoshop Elements 1 and do not expect to go to elements 5 but to CS2.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:52 PM   #4

IMHO and re feedback from my college level students, an upgrade from 3 to 5 is worth it. From 4 to 5, probably not.

For example, 5's version of curves and smart sharpenmade it worth itfor a couple of them to move up from 3 (although those features are no where near as powerful as CS2's tools which they are also familiar with from class). There are several other improvements. In truth, as a CS2 owner and daily user, I find Elements personally limiting, butPSE 5is still anexcellent value for those wanting an outstanding entry-level programand maywill be all many will ever need!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:26 PM   #5

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
I still use Photoshop Elements 1 and do not expect to go to elements 5 but to CS2.
CS3 will be released in Spring'07. I would suggest to wait for the CS3 if you are planning to upgrade to CS2. I don't think Adobe will let you upgrade to CS3 from CS2 without a good chunk of upgrade money. So it is smart to wait since it is so close to the new version release date. CS3 has many new and upgraded features and is worth the wait...:G
harana is offline   Reply With Quote