Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:14 AM   #1

Photoshop, Photoshop CS:
The programs I've used since about forever. Great for advanced editing but no image management.
And so the quest began ...

Lightzone:
Totally not intuitive. Fundamentally different editing concept ("Zone System") than everything else out there. Probably works great once you learn it. Supports RAW formats for my cameras, but not for many other popular cameras. An editing tool only, no image management/rating etc - kills it for me. Adios, uninstall.
Bibble Pro:
Not most intuitive interface but not bad either. VERY funky clone/heal/patch tool operation but at least it has them, full range of basic - advanced editing functions, integrates Noise Ninja Pro directly if you have a license (big plus for me), intuitive management/rating functions. Supports every RAW format known to man.
Adobe Lightroom:
Fairly intuitive interface - a bit better than Bibble by not significantly. Non-intuitive image management. What should be really simple operations like multi-select images to remove from library and/or to Recycle Bin are way too damn quirky. Supports most RAW formats, good image management/rating functions, plenty of editing functions EXCEPT the ones you REALLY need and use a lot i.e. clone/heal, red-eye removal. edge selection, magic wand blah, blah. Maybe the "real" version will have these? The price point being bantered about seems to be in the $200 - $300 range, not cheap. Apparently there are still a LOT of bugs to be fixed and functionality added based on Lightroom forum discussions I've read. Haven't found anything in Lightroom that Bibble doesn't do already and for less money.
Microsoft Digital Image Editor & Library:
Huh? Microsoft what? Never crossed my mind, until I ran across a review of the product and read various forum discussions here and there.
Installed it, didn't watch any tutorials, didn't read help manual, just started importing and editing images. Turns out, it's a pretty darn good program! Surprised the heck out of me. Especially given the price, $50.
If it had RAW file editing capability it might be a no-brainer decision. It did auto extract embedded JPEG files from my Canon Raw images (that was a pleasant surprise!) unless you want to fiddle with a RAW file not a show stopper IMO.
Intuitive interface, easy to use file rating/management functions, good variety of useful editing tools (thank you, thank you, thank you) from "one-touch auto fixes" to more sophisticated tools like curves, unsharp mask, red eye removal, clone tool etc. Tool layout and "step by step" guidance on many of the tools are great for those who don't want to make a career out of learning the program. Understandable Color management options (a good thing)/
Haven't printed anything yet so can't judge the output. But from a file management, editing and user interface standpoint I have to give it high marks so far and *I'm no MS fan boy by a long shot*. Could be the sleeper "Image Management, Editor" program out of all of these except for those with very advanced requirements.
Late breaking news ... just watched the video tutorials that came with the MS product and it has even better image editing capabilities than first appearances suggest. It's no Photoshop or Paintshop Pro for sure ... but it does seem to make it easy to manage and edit photo's.
kresner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:17 AM   #2

ok that didn't work out ... no text??

Hmm, will try and repost ...
Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:21 AM   #3

kresner wrote:
Quote:
ok that didn't work out ... no text??

Hmm, will try and repost ...
Photoshop, Photoshop CS:
The programs I've used since about forever. Great for advanced editing but no image management.

And so the quest began ...

Lightzone:
Totally not intuitive. Fundamentally different editing concept ("Zone System") than everything else out there. Probably works great once you learn it. Supports RAW formats for my cameras, but not for many other popular cameras. An editing tool only, no image management/rating etc - kills it for me. Adios, uninstall.

Bibble Pro:
Not most intuitive interface but not bad either. VERY funky clone/heal/patch tool operation but at least it has them, full range of basic - advanced editing functions, integrates Noise Ninja Pro directly if you have a license (big plus for me), intuitive management/rating functions. Supports every RAW format known to man.

Adobe Lightroom:
Fairly intuitive interface - a bit better than Bibble by not significantly. Non-intuitive image management. What should be really simple operations like multi-select images to remove from library and/or to Recycle Bin are way too damn quirky. Supports most RAW formats, good image management/rating functions, plenty of editing functions EXCEPT the ones you REALLY need and use a lot i.e. clone/heal, red-eye removal. edge selection, magic wand blah, blah. Maybe the "real" version will have these? The price point being bantered about seems to be in the $200 - $300 range, not cheap. Apparently there are still a LOT of bugs to be fixed and functionality added based on Lightroom forum discussions I've read. Haven't found anything in Lightroom that Bibble doesn't do already and for less money.

Microsoft Digital Image Editor & Library:
Huh? Microsoft what? Never crossed my mind, until I ran across a review of the product and read various forum discussions here and there.

Installed it, didn't watch any tutorials, didn't read help manual, just started importing and editing images. Turns out, it's a pretty darn good program! Surprised the heck out of me. Especially given the price, $50.

If it had RAW file editing capability it might be a no-brainer decision. It did auto extract embedded JPEG files from my Canon Raw images (that was a pleasant surprise!) unless you want to fiddle with a RAW file not a show stopper IMO. Plenty of RAW editors out there.

Intuitive interface, easy to use file rating/management functions, good variety of useful editing tools (thank you, thank you, thank you) from "one-touch auto fixes" to more sophisticated tools like curves, unsharp mask, red eye removal, clone tool etc. Tool layout and "step by step" guidance on many of the tools are great for those who don't want to make a career out of learning the program. Understandable Color management options (a good thing).

Haven't printed anything yet so can't judge the output. But from a file management, editing and user interface standpoint I have to give it high marks so far and *I'm no MS fan boy by a long shot*. Could be the sleeper "Image Management, Editor" program out of all of these except for those with very advanced requirements.

Late breaking news ... just watched video tutorials that came with the MS product and it has even better image editing capabilities than first appearance suggests. It's no Photoshop or Paintshop Pro that's for sure ... but it does seem to make it easy to manage and edit photo's.

Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:53 PM   #4

LightZone's interface might look scary at first, but after watching one video tutorial on their web site about the zone mapper/zone finder tool it suddenly became easy.

I don't even use their browser but only the RT (retouch) version as I'm fairly content with Bridge as an image browser. After doing the zone thing and perhaps contrast adjustment with LZ I usually move the image to PS Elements for final adjustments that I prefer to make there.

Personally I think there is a lot to be said for a non-destructive ability to modify images using the zone system, and the program can use most of its tools not only on the whole image but also repeatedly if needed upon selected regions, or by omitting selected regions.

It's fairly powerful--different to be sure-- but spend a little more time with it. There are so many programs for images springing up and this is one that will be fun to watch as it matures.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote