Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:44 PM   #1

I want to do some light editing (redeye, cropping) and as many of you have pointed out I just realized how cumbersome viewing and organizing has become. I guess I need a viewer but I would like the ability of cropping to a standard 4x6 and saving to tiff to avoid degradation. What program would be:
-fast viewer
-somewhat user friendly
-light editing ability
-4x6 cropping
-tiff saving

I am afraid my requirements (except for the fast viewing) might be best suited for an editor but if there is an advanced viewer out there please chime in.
istok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:35 PM   #2

Very expensive for some, but Photoshop CS2 does all that and so very much more!

However, Photoshop Elements 5 will do all you ask for about US$70 (less), or if you can find it try 4.0 running about $40 (I strongly suggest 5 for a new purchase, though). Plus there are tons of books and free online tutorials to help you learn.:|

Now watch this thread; someone else will pipe in about Gimp, Picassa, etc.:blah:
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:44 PM   #3

hgernhardtjr wrote:
Quote:

However, Photoshop Elements 5 will do all you ask for about US$70 (less), or if you can find it try 4.0 running about $40 (I strongly suggest 5 for a new purchase, though). Plus there are tons of books and free online tutorials to help you learn.:|

Now watch this thread; someone else will pipe in about Gimp, Picassa, etc.:blah:
Yeah I am seriously considering Elements or Paintshop Pro 11 because you do learn something that could carry over into more advanced versions.
I still want something that is easier to use and that I can download at my old mans house and show him how to use and utilize it myself without having to bust out a tutorial. Which brings me to Gimp, Picasa, Irfanview. From what I read, Picasa is almost exactly what I need. Do the others have a leg up on Picasa?
istok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:22 PM   #4

Picassa is a good, free, entry-level program. Several of my students use it (I do not, but I did recommend it to them after testing it out), and those who moved up have told me that Elements is much better overall but, of course, more difficult to learn when they ultimately purchased it.

I am a long-time PhotoShop user, starting on our college's 3 (if I remember correctly), then personally purchasing 5 updating to 7 and ultimately CS2 — so I am very biased and almost always recommend Elements or CS2.

However, if my father were still alive, as capable as he was, I would have recommended Picassa to him as it is much easier to use and fairly automated. Better yet, I would have given him my old, now long unused, MGI PhotoSuite LE that came free with a Sony digital camera several years ago and was so easy even my then-under-7 grandkids were able to use. Anyway, IMHO.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:37 AM   #5

I loaded Picassa into the PC emulation on my iMac to play with it a while and it looks quite capable and is free from Google Images section. Hard to beat that if you want to keep it simple.

Another free and very useful program is IrfanView. He keeps adding features to it and it's been several years since I used, so I'm not up to date about it.

Photoshop Elements does have that steep learning curve, enough that, like Photoshop, one might never reach the end of it, but it also has many automated features that can get you started quickly, and the latest PC version has an image browser/catalog.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:41 PM   #6

I use Ulead Photoexplorer for viewing and quick editing. Very fast loading and has basic cropping/editing capabilities. The print engine is slow, though. For more sophisticated editing, Photoimpact works well for me.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote