Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:13 AM   #1

Hi guys,

Just a couple of (quite noobie) questions about photoshop and exif / copyright data.

How can EXIF data be maintained in photoshop? Everytime I resize to jpeg, it seems to strip the data which is annoying.

Also, adding copyright protection / comments for picture desk use - where do you actually add that in, and does it maintain it when / if resizing.

Cheers

Steven
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2007, 1:36 PM   #2

I just tried resizing and modifying a JPG in CS. Any way I saved it retained the EXIF. Unless CS2 is a lot different I think you retain all of the EXIF, IPTC metadata etc as long as you don't "Save for Web". Saving for the web strips stuff to keep the file size small.

Go File > File Info and you can add comments etc.

There are many tutorials online for making a watermark if you want to add that to your images.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:28 AM   #3

Thank you, save for web was what was doing it.

Thanks.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:51 AM   #4

You will find lots of folks with different opinions, but I think it is a good idea to strip out the EXIF data when putting images on the web: it saves about 50Kbytes by getting rid of the thumbnail image that is in the EXIF header. That often means cutting the size of the image about in half. For those of us on dial-up connections that makes the difference between looking at an image or not.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote