Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 30, 2003, 4:52 PM   #1

Default Adjustment layers in Photoshop Elememts 2

I feel so dumb! I'm trying to do the example of adj. levels in "Photoshop Elements 2 Solutions" by Aaland. Using fig. 2.12, I am supposed to be able to make 2 adj. layers, adj. them, and combine the 2 to get an image with good light in the trees and the sky. The instructions are just not clear enough for me. Can anyone simplify the process? Trying to read Aalands book, the adobe manuel, and the online help at the same time is driving me crazy, (and it's already a short trip).

Thanx,

Ron :shock:
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2003, 5:01 PM   #2

In addition, one of the instructions is to select the gradient tool, then select "gradient: Foreground to Transparent" from the "options bar".
I don't see the choice "gradient" in the options bar. :?:

More thanx,

Ron
Old Jul 1, 2003, 8:23 AM   #3

I don't have Elements up in front of me but as far as the layers are concerned, he may mean to go to Layers>Flatten (or merge, I forget what it says) or you can click on the eye icon next to the background layer, making it invisible and then go to Layers>merge visible. Not sure if that is what he's talking about, I haven't seen that book.

As for the other, go up to the top of the window and click on WINDOW and see if options is checked, it's right under tools, I think. That will show your tool options on the top of your work area.

Don't feel dumb, if we all knew all the things we need to know, there wouldn't be any need for these forums.

E.B.
E.B.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2003, 5:35 AM   #4

E.B. Thanx for the reply. Options show for each tool, however, THAT particular option does not. I will try your other suggestions tonight.

Thanx again,

Ron
Old Jul 3, 2003, 9:44 PM   #5

Surfnron,

I had some trouble with the gradient tool too. I poked around and found the answer accidentally. In the options bar you can click on the little down arrow on the right side of the rectangle on the left side of the option bar. This will drop down a group of squares. If you hold your cursor on one of them for a couple of seconds it's description will appear. The foreground to transparent is the second one from the left on the top row. You can also get the same group of presets by clicking on the edit button. Good luck.

I've found that you have to read some of the instructions in the book carefully. If you miss one small point the process doesn't work. The author also skips the details on some techniques if he's covered them before, so you may have to go back and find the section where he covered it the first time. Despite these shortcomings I think the book has been a great learning tool, especially when combined with the cd.

Regards,

Bill W.
bwarnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 9:49 PM   #6
JD

I had trouble with that pic also, so I skipped it and haven't gone back to it. (Yet). Don't feel alone, the whole thing drives me nuts too most of the time, but it sure is fun when at times you accidently know what you're doing. Janee's Photoshop Tutorials is another great instructional site, and like she said, there's at least three ways do the same thing on Elements, which further boggles my mind.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote