Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:23 AM   #1

I need a reasonably priced software that will open my NEF files from my Nikon D50 camera. I have Photoshop CS but for the life of me can not get the DNG to work at all. Several people have listed help but not working... so I am at the point of wanting to purchase something that will allow me to open NEF raw files.

thanks for any help.

Connie
ConnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:44 PM   #2

I have PSPX but have no nef files to try it out, I used Picasa to open Pentax raw files.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:48 AM   #3

I stumbled about http://www.pl32.com/ last week and it works with DNG. Don't have a NEF File to test (am a Pentax user) - but you can test on your own - download a 30day trial from the website.

Am searching for a image manipulation software for RAW processing myself (ok - can use RAW converter + PSP or GIMP with UFRAW etc.) - but something more easy 1-step solution.

PL32 is shareware, nicely priced and so far looks quite nice after 4 days testing. Let me know what you think!

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:39 AM   #4

If you already have Photoshop CS and your main concern is nef files you might consider Nikon NX software. Amazon has it for $120 delivered and it is both competent and easy from reviews. You can download the 30 day trial and see how it works for you: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...?p_faqid=14058

PSP doesn't get rave reviews from Nikon folks for nef files.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:32 PM   #5

Thanks!! I will check it out and get it downloaded.

Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Administrator

ConnieD wrote:
Quote:
I need a reasonably priced software that will open my NEF files from my Nikon D50 camera. I have Photoshop CS but for the life of me can not get the DNG to work at all.
What version do you have?

The Nikon D50 wasn't added until version 3.2. So, anything older than that isn't going to convert your .nef files to dng

You can download the latest 3.6 version here and use it to convert your .nef files to dng

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3548

But, the newer 3.6 versions of Adobe Camera Raw won't work with Photoshop CS (they require CS 2). The DNG converter is a stand alone product (so you can use a newer version of the converter outside of Photoshop).

After converting your .nef files to dng with a newer version of the DNG converter, you'll need to open them in PS CS with Camera Raw version 2.4 (which supports DNG and is the latest version of Camera Raw for your version of Photoshop). You can download the Camera Raw 2.4 plugin here (follow the directions on this page for the folder you need to copy the plugin to after you unzip it). Then, just open the DNG files using Photoshop CS.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2863

If you want to open your .nef files directly in Photoshop without converting to DNG first, you may want to upgrade to CS 2 and use Camera Raw version 3.2 or newer (the newer 3.x versions of Adobe Camera Raw won't work under CS).

There are many other products that can convert your raw files, too (and some products like Bibble also have a plugin available that will work with Photoshop CS).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:44 PM   #7

The Bibble might be my only solution. I have done everything I can to get the DNG and the camera raw file to work with my CS but it will just not work. I have all the necessary plugins in the right spots but zip.. will not work. I can not upgrade to CS2 unless I come into some money.... so maybe I will just not process raw files. and stick to jpeg. Thanks for everyones help...

Connie
Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:00 PM   #8
Administrator

ConnieD wrote:
Quote:
The Bibble might be my only solution. I have done everything I can to get the DNG and the camera raw file to work with my CS but it will just not work. I
The camera's raw file (the nef file) won't open in Photoshop CS with any version of camera raw. You'd need to convert the nef file to dng first (using a newer version of the DNG converter, not Photoshop).

Then, you can open the dng files created by the DNG converter in Photoshop CS, *if* you have the plugin for Adobe Camera Raw version 2.4 installed.

IOW, it's going to be a two stage conversion process going that route (convert from .nef to dng using Adobe's DNG Converter, then open the dng files with Photoshop CS via the ACR 2.4 plugin to convert them to your desired format).

You've probably got a simple to solve issue. You need to make sure you're using a newer version of the DNG converter (I'd download and use the newer 3.6 version of it). The plugin that comes with Camera Raw in that version will *not* work with Photoshop CS.

So, after you download and install the newer 3.6 version of the DNG converter, you'd need to install the Camera Raw plugin form Camera Raw version 2.4 to open the dng files in Photoshop CS.

Are you sure you'd installing the right file to the right place?

You have to unzip the installation files for Camera Raw version 2.4. Then, copy Camera Raw.8bi to this folder (and there are other folders with almost the same name, so make sure you aren't copying it to the wrong one).

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats

After that, you should be able to open dng files (not your nef files) with Photoshop CS. To get the dng files, you'll need to use Adobe's DNG converter (version 3.2 or later).

Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:30 AM   #9

Hey Jim...You are a lefe saver!! The new dng converter worked.. I don't know what I did different this time from the other times but it works and that is fine. Thank you so much for all your help.

Connie D
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Administrator

I'm glad you got it working. My guess is that the two different versions of software was the issue (you probably tried to use the older 2.4 DNG converter which won't convert your files, or you tried to use the newer 3.6 plugin which won't work with CS).

Basically, what we're doing is a "workaround" solution since CS won't support your camera's nef files directly.

So, we use a newer version of the DNG converter (which does support your camera for converting the nef file to dng), with an older 2.4 version of Camera Raw (which supports dng, even though it doesn't support your camera's nef files).

If you want direct support of the nef files in Photoshop with Camera Raw (versus needing to convert to dng first to open them), your best bet is probably upgrading to PS CS2. Then, you could install the newer 3.6 version of camera raw and elminate the conversion to dng step. Or, use a product like Bibble instead (since it works as a stand alone product or a photoshop plugin).

Of course, there are *many* raw converters available now (and some of them are free). So, there is no right or wrong way to do it. Adobe Camera Raw does a few things better than most. But, there are pros and cons to all of them and some work better on some images versus others.

Anymore, I'm just as likely to use something like dcraw.c or UFRaw (free programs) to convert my raw files versus any of the commercial products, since I like the conversion algorithms for most images. But, Adobe's products do have their strengths.