Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 5, 2003, 6:06 PM   #1

Default Selective Focusing

Hello all,

My first digital camera, which I have just gotten two months ago is treating me nicely. My previous workflow included scanning negatives and then printing them off. But, the digital camera works much better. The amount of pictures I have taken in these two months is probably the amount of pictures I shot with the film SLRs for a whole year.

However, what really -annoys- me about consumer digital cameras is that they simply can't decrease the depth of field like my old SLRs do. I understand that and there is little I can do except buy dSLRs for which I do not have the money. My question, however, is whether there are good ways of selectively focusing digitally? I have tried masking and then gaussian bluring, but I am not that keen on the effect. The selective focusing does not necesserily have to be anything you could do with a film SLR, just something that works. I have had some luck with radial bluring, but this only works on certain types of images. I have also tried masking off and soft focusing the rest, and while I like the effect, it is not for every occasion. Does anyone have any other methods of selectively focusing certain parts of the picture?
salvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2003, 4:46 AM   #2

Hi,

Here is a tutorial on decreasing DOF:
http://pixtool.info
Cheers,

Theo
theodor is offline   Reply With Quote