Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1

can anybody recommend me a good entry-level raw editor with noise reduction?
balmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:40 PM   #2

A lot of cameras that take RAW photos include software for just that purpose. If yours doesn't, Photoshop is probably the best. I don't know if Photoshop Elements has anything available that is comparable to the Adobe Camera Raw software that comes in CS2 though.

The alternative is cheaper, but the quality probably won't be quite as good and it's a bit of a pain. You can get UFRaw for free which does a great job converting RAW images, and that can operate as a standalone program or a plugin for GIMP which is a free image editor. However, neither has any kind of useful noise reduction.

For noise reduction, there's probably two options here. One would be to edit the image using GIMP or something similar (perhaps paint.net?) by duplicating the original layer, blurring it, and applying it as a color layer. I don't know if that works in GIMP or anything else as well as it does in Photoshop.

The better quality alternative would be to get a program like Noise Ninja which can run as a standalone program. This is one of the best programs for removing noise without ruining image detail, though I'd still prefer to do it in Adobe Camera Raw.

I hope someone has an easier suggestion for you.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:50 PM   #3

Just took a quick look, here are some noise reduction plugins for UFRaw:

http://www.haypocalc.com/wiki/Gimp_P...GREYCstoration

http://registry.gimp.org/list?category=10

I can't vouch for anything on those pages so you're on your own there. If you figure all this out, definitely let us know about your success, I'm sure others would be looking to do the same thing.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:58 PM   #4
Administrator

balmo wrote:
Quote:
can anybody recommend me a good entry-level raw editor with noise reduction?
Eric Hyman's Bibble

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:23 PM   #5

Photoshop Elements with the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in would be a good choice for a lot less money than CS. There are a couple features of the plugin that don't work with with Elements, but the raw conversion is the same.

Irfanview is free, and converts raw files. The only real drawback is there are no adjustments for the converter - all editing must be donepost conversion.

Ulead Photoimpact is another. I have version 10, which doesn't have a raw converter, but the current version does. Can't say how the converter works, but PI is a more fullly featured editor than PS Elements for similar price. The Photo Explorer software that comes with it is a dandy organizer, and loads thumbnails much quicker than others I've tried.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:07 PM   #6

That is a tall order: good, entry level, raw editor with noise reduction. You didn't say, but sort of implied cheap as another attribute.

I am very sure you will not find one program that does all of that without a great cost in money and/or time taken to figure out the software. Insead, look for a set of utilities that behave well together. For the RAW part of it, spend some time in the forum for your specific camera. There are often good free RAW converters that only work with a couple of cameras - that is just fine if yours is one of them.

Don't even think of solving your problem(s) with one do-it-all program.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:08 AM   #7

Try Raw Shooter Essentials. The developer Pixmantic has been bought out by Adobe now, so the "pro" version is unavailable, SFAIK, but essentials (free) will give you a basic idea of what can be done with a RAW developer.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote