Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:58 AM   #1

Hi all, would any one be able to help me out on a photoshop technique.
I have been instructed to design an advertisement that will go onto a train side. The idea is to put some artwork on a train carriage that will make the train look as if it is in a large condom. With the 90% transperancy of the condom layer, the train shows through the condom, but i want a technique that will make the condom seem to wrap around the carriage. Any suggestions on a better more realistic approach.
thanks
troy_slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:40 AM   #2

I'll give some rough ideas since I don't have the actual images.

Open the condom and size it so it is around the length of the train.
Go Filter > Extract and extract the condom. That will give a transparent background
I prefer to just select the background or select the object and inverse, then hit the delete key. If you do that make sure the background color contrasts well with the condom. Red might be a good choice. And crop the condom as well as you can before selecting.

Open the train. With the Move tool drag the condom onto the train. If you used the extract tool you will just have the condom. If you used the regular selection tools you will drag the colored background. In that case, select the background with the magic wand and hit the delete key.

Go to the layers palette and change the opacity of the condom layer so you can see the train.

Edit > Transform. Use Rotate and Scale to generally cover the train with the condom.

If you want the condom to more closely follow the contour of the train note where you want it contracted or expanded. Filter > Liquefy and select the Pucker tool. Mess with the brush size until you get the pucker you want. You can also make the open end close partially around the train with the pucker tool. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to see the train while you pucker the condom. Maybe someone else has an idea on that.

You can do things like mess with levels or curves to increase the contrast and find edges and enhance them to make the condom stand out. As long as it is the active layer you won't affect the train and it would probably be best to do it in place so you can see the result.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 6:12 PM   #3

Hey Slipe thanks for the advice, its most appreciated. One last question the condom has to spane the length on 20 metres, any idea as to what type of camera will give me a high enough res image, or can i spit a condom in half and drum scan it.
Troy
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:01 PM   #4

Just an update on the condom tram concept. The minister for health rejected the idea as he didnt want reporters to have a joke at his expense while he rode the tram on the opening day of the sexual health campaign. The headlines such as "The Minister the biggest dick" or "minister rides the biggest dick" would cause embarrassement.
Thanks for all you help.