Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:33 AM   #1

Hi all,

I am absolutely new to photoshop. I want to do this:

I have seen images entirely black and white with only the subject in a particular colour, say red. How is that achieved?

amitr0
amitr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:18 AM   #2

You start by outlining the subject with the little magnetic tracing tool...Looks like a coat hanger to me... ) Once you do that any changes will be made to the subject you outlined...you can play with the saturation or contrast or the colors...RGB, etc....when you finish and are ready to change the back ground to b/w, go up to the tool bar
(select) and click on Inverse....This will highlight the rest of the picture and change the editing options to the area outside of the original outlined subject...Once you have done this you can play with b/w or any option for making the back ground different...When your done, hit enter...One hint.....zoom in as much as you can in the beginning so you can trace the subject tight...
john :G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:46 AM   #3

John's technique will work, but I would suggest using layers. That allows reveral at any stage.

Start by creating a duplicate layer. Convert that layer to grayscale (simple desaturation is one way, there are lots of other conversion techniques). Create a layer mask for the duplcate layer set to reveal all[sup]*/[/sup]. Then simply paint the layer mask black for the areas where you want the color to show though.

*/ That assumes most of the resulting image will be grayscale. Doesn't really matter what you pick since you can change it by painting the mask, that is just easier. Easier yet is to make a quick select of the areas you want to show through and on creation of the layer mask, pick "hide selected". Fine tune by painting the layer mask.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:56 AM   #4

Your method is the way to go Bill, but when I read "absolutely new to photoshop", I
figured layers would really blow amitr0's mind....I have gotten alot of good info from
Scott Kelby's books...Amitr0 might want to start in something like that....
:?
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 3:23 PM   #5

Layers, layer masks, adjustment layers, masked adjustment layers, ... Yeh, all that can get confusing. But using layers is such a powerful technique that it is well worth getting the dent in the middle of your forhead from banging it on the corner of your desk. Layers can be frustrating to figure out, but it is well worth the effort.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:38 PM   #6

John and Bill,

Thanks for the guidance.

John, I appreciate your concern about me not understanding layers, you were right. Bill, I will learn layers.

I am having problems with photoshop installation, hence I couldn't try it out. I will definitely do it in a couple of hours and send you the creations.

I also wanted to know how to blur out back grounds in photoshop.

In potraits specificallly, like those of professionals where the back ground is a continuous colour blur, with hexagonal (or octagonal) light specs.

I have a Panasonic DMC FZ50, and since it is mostly a point and shoot, it doesnt have the capability for such a DOF, even with teh largest aperture it supports F2.8.

So can i do the sam with photoshop, to enhance my images??

amitr0
Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:42 PM   #7

You blur the background basically the same way that you make it B&W. With the background selected go Filter > Blur > Gaussean Blur and move the slider until it looks right.

The polygons from bright reflections are from the lens opening shape and it is pretty hard to duplicate.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 1:32 AM   #8

OK PPL,

I TRIED YOUR TECHNIQUES WITH PHOTOSHOP. NONE WORKED. tHE REASONS ARE:

IN THE FIRST TECHNIQUE, I NEEDED THE MAGNETIC TOOL, IF THE IMAGE IS COMPLEX, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SELECT PROPERLY. THE OUTPUT IS AN IMAGE THAT LOOKS AS IT WAS EDITED. FOR EXAMPLE, IN CASE OF A HUMAN FIGURE, THE HAIR IS TOO DIFFICULT TO SEPERATE FROM THE BACKGROUND.

OK SO I SHIFTED ATTENTION TO METHOD TWO. LAYERS. YEAH, I DID FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE DUPLICATE LAYERS. BUT I GOT STUCK WHEN IT CAME TO COLOURING LAYERS. HOW DO I COLOUR THE PORTOINS OF A LAYER (BLACK) WHERE I WANT THE ORIGINAL COLOR TO SIP THROUGH!!!??!??! FOR A HUMAN FIGURE, WHICH I WANT TO APPLY THIS TECHNIQUE ON, I AGAIN NEED TO DO SOMETHING LIKE MAGNETIC LASSO, AND THAT IS AGAIN VERY DIFFICULT.

AM I CORRECT OR DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG?

IS THERE A WAY TO GET A MORE PROFESSIONAL IMAGE????

AMITR0
Old Feb 22, 2007, 1:56 AM   #9

You put the B&W layer over the colored layer. Then use the eraser. You can also use any of the selection tools and hit the delete key.

Hair can be difficult. There isn't a magic button push. You have to use a very small brush with the quick mask or eraser.

Your caps lock is stuck on if you haven't noticed.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:05 PM   #10

Slipe's approach is easier to figure out than using a layer mask, but it is not as easily reversable. Esp if you come back to a saved copy.

You don't color the layer black - you create a layer mask and color parts of the mask black. Something else for you to figure out: there are much better tutorials scattered about the web than I could possibly do.

I hope you manage to unstick you caps lock.