Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:51 AM   #1

I was wondering if anyone could steer me onto a good program which would allow me to make DVD Slideshows. I would like to organize slides,add background music and also add my own voice as narrator. I have documented building a canoe for my son and would like to give him a a documentary Dvd of the whole building process start to finish.
huntsman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:42 AM   #2

Depending upon how fancy you want this there are a few programs I have used I can tell you about.

1) If you have windows XP with service pack 2 you should have a program called Microsoft Movie Maker in your start menu. You just add the pictures in the order you want, add any transition effects, then add music and/or narration. You can get this from microsoft's website if you don't have it already.

2) For a reasonable amount of money (less than $100) you can buy Adobe Premier which will allow you to do the same thing.

3) If you are a Mac user iMovie will also let you arrange pictures and sound the way you like.

In all of these programs the transition effects (ie fading or zooming) make the pictures look a little pixelated (I hope I spelled that right) or grainy. After your project is complete you can either save it to the hard drive or burn it to dvd for viewing elsewhere. I like to save it to the hard drive that way I can burn it as much as I want later without having to re-encode it.

All of these packages also let you mix video clips with still pictures so if you have any camcorder shots or movie files from a point & shoot you can add those as well.

I personally like Movie Maker and iMovie, mostly because they come with their respective operating systems. I have used Premier though and it is good as well. I hope this helps.

TwoStep
TwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:46 AM   #3

If you are a Mac user, actually, iPhoto can do the job for you. Which is faster than iMovie in my opinion.
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:52 AM   #4

antony wrote:
Quote:
If you are a Mac user, actually, iPhoto can do the job for you. Which is faster than iMovie in my opinion.
I didn't know that antony. Does iPhoto do the transitions cleaner than iMovie? WheneverI do the zoom tranzitions in iMovie the picture looks really bad until the full size is reached.

TwoStep
TwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:31 AM   #5

TwoStep wrote:
I didn't know that antony. Does iPhoto do the transitions cleaner than iMovie? WheneverÂ*I do the zoom tranzitions in iMovie the picture looks really bad until the full size is reached.[/quote]The short answer is yes.

You also have a quite a few controls on transitions, but not to the degree as in iMovie . (I am using iPhoto 6). The problem with iPhoto is that you can't add text into it (or I haven't figured out how.) My stupid solution is to export to QT movie, then adding text from QuickTime Pro.

Otherwise, if you have iWork, Keynote is another great tool for making slideshows (and very easy to add text).

I won't recommend using iMovie for slide shows (or adding transitions) as all photos would have to be resized for the format you specified in the Movie project.

Hope these help.
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:42 AM   #6

Hi Huntsman47,

Go to http://www.photodex.com

Pro-show Gold is a great program for creating DVD Slide Shows for you to watch on a regular television set with a DVD player.
They offer a free trial that will allow you to see if it will do what you want it to do. I find that SonyDVD minus-R discs work the best on all DVD players.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote