Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:52 PM   #1

I have a Macintosh. I purchased Photoshop elements 3.0, but never got it to work right. I am planning on getting a new camera and a good, but non-expensive photo program.

I want to be able to erase back ground clutter and fill in with something else. When I was using a program with Microsoft I think it's name was Image Digital Pro it was exactly right for me. I have since given it away.

I can't afford anything that is really expensive. I was told about a few programs
that would do what I needed, but was also told they were for advanced photograpers.

I just need something that us user friendly for a Mac, but will do everything from removing redeye to getting rid of shadows, clutter, and make the photo sharp. If you have any direction it surely would be appreciated. - gle
gle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:22 AM   #2

The tasks which you mentioned that you want to accomplish in image editing software are not trivial tasks and will require you to spend time learning how to do them. If you still have PS Elements 3 you might start with the tutorials provided with it and see how far you get doing them. You'll have to put some time in learning any software which will remove red eye and replace backgrounds and fill with something else, get rid of shadows and clutter, etc.

Each version of PSE has added some automation features but they can only go so far and generally aren't as good as what you can do manually. For the Mac the version is now up to 4, and hopefully soon version 5 will be out.

If you meant that PSE did not work on your particular machine then tell us more about your specific set up and memory installed and what you experienced.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:13 AM   #3

[align=left]HI,
Thanks for responding. I have the PSE 3.0 and my problem is when I have a photo to edit,
the tools surround the photo, but I can't get any of the tools to drag onto the photo to so I can edit. For instance if I want to remove a blemish on a persons fact I can't get the tool desired to do so. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not. - gle
[/align]
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:15 PM   #4

If the tools are not working try resetting the preference file back to its default by holding Option+Command+Shift as you start PSE; answer Yes to reset the preference file and you can generally clear up the tool problems.

You don't really drag the tools onto your picture but click on the tool and the cursor will change shape to indicate that particular tool. By holding the cursor over a tool many of them will open up and give a different option.

I hope your help file is working--that can be a problem occasionally getting it to start but good luck with getting into Elements deeper than you've been able to before. The forums online at Adobe are good resources, too.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:25 PM   #5

[align=left]Would you believe I set it to default and on a white sheet the cursor changed to the pencil.
Then I put in a photo and it went back to the way it was before. Evidently this does not stay in default, but reverts back to Custom. - gle
[/align]
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:30 PM   #6

[align=left]JDAR,
I checked and it was still in the Default. When white is used, the tools will work. But, when I click on a photo to edit, they don't. Any answer to that. I see you are offline.- gle
[/align]
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:07 PM   #7

There are two modes for Elements, a sort of automated one and a manual editing one. I only stayed in the edit mode so the other choice of PSE 3 is a little fuzzy to me, but make sure you are in the edit mode. Maybe someone else can offer some help, too. If all else fails you may need to reinstall the program and see if that corrects whatever problem exists.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:49 PM   #8

[align=left]Thanks for all of your advice. I have installed and un-installed this program three times and I finally gave up. Maybe I need to go back to a Microsoft. NO WAY! ha!- gle
[/align]
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:01 AM   #9

Your copy of PSE does sound possessed. Try asking at the Elements forum at

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.eeb4f8b/

They have probably faced what is going on before, and might have a ready answer. However, I did look there and didn't find an easy answer. They will tackle the tough ones, though. Let us hear how this turns out.