Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1

I admit at the outset here that I have NO idea what I am doing. I took portraits at my daughter's dance class today with a borrowed Nikon D40, shot in RAW mode. I got home, downloaded the photos to my laptop and it told me it needed to download something from Nikon in order to get the RAW files. So I did, then gave camera and card back to the owner (who erased the pics from the card).

I went to open my usual image editing software, and it couldn't even see the files, which have the extension .NEF, so I went out and bought Adobe Photoshop Elements. I followed the instructions in the tutorial to open the RAW files, but when I open the files in the editor, it says it cannot open the files because they are the wrong type.

I really need help, I don't know what to do and I am completely freaking out because 40 families are depending on me for these portraits, and I can't open them to edit them!

I know I should have just shot in jpeg, but I thought this would be better because I would have more control over the post processing... but take it from me, when the pressure is on is NOT a good time to choose to learn a new skill!

Can someone help?
Thank you so much!

Jen
abbiesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:34 PM   #2

OK, I think I found the problem. There is a new plugin for the D40 that I needed to download from adobe.

...now if can just figure out what the heck I am doing with the post processing, we'll be good! :?

Tips for a totally clueless newbie, anyone?

Jen
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:10 PM   #3

Jen,

it sounds as if you are on the right path in downloading the latest camera raw from Adobe. Make sure you follow the installation instructions to the letter. You picked a bad day to give up Jpeg!
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:13 PM   #4

yep, that'll teach me LOL! Nothing like baptism by fire!

-Jen
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:41 PM   #5

One thing in Elements' favor is a large user base. You can find many free tutorials on how to use the ACR plugin from Adobe and many other sources on the web. In might help to do a google on the RAW format as well. If you understand what you are working with better, it makes it easier to follow the other instructions.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote