Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1

I took a B&W image on my Canon400...it came up as B&W..and I viewed it on the lcd as B&W.....

When I downloaded the image to photoshop..it comes up as a color shot.

Can someone please tell me why this is happening,and how I can correct it??

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks,

Mike
mike397x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2007, 4:55 PM   #2

Did you take the picture in RAW or JPG mode? I can't remember off hand, but does the 400 have Picture Styles and if so, did you use the B&W style?

What probably happened is that your camera took the picture using styles which are just some in camera settings to make it B&W. If you shot it in RAW mode, you can set the parameters in Camera RAW to make the image B&W.

You can also use Photoshop to make the image B&W. There are several ways that range from easy (drop the saturation) to difficult (using actions). If you search the internet for B&W in Photoshop, you will find many techniques to create the look you are after.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:05 PM   #3

Headhunter66,

Thanks for your reply.

What I found out was that the image {raw file} should be opened in the canon software...where it is "tagged " as a B& W image ...then sent to photoshop for further processing...This info is from Pete at NAPP

Hi William,

Your camera doesn't actually capture "grayscale" or "black and white," it captures all images as RGB. The camera has a feature that can embed a "desaturate" command in the image's metadata, but that is a non-standard field for use with Canon software, not Photoshop/Bridge or Lightroom.
In Photoshop or Lightroom you can simply reduce the Saturation slider to replicate the effect or you can take full control over the grayscale appearance of the image in Camera Raw (HSL/Grayscale tab) or Lightroom (HSL/Color/Grayscale tab of the Develop modul

Thanks ,

Mike
mike397x is offline   Reply With Quote