Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 15, 2007, 11:11 AM   #1

I am looking for some software so that I can take some black and white pictures of my son and make only one thing enhanced in the picture in color. I am in the process of buying a new camera, probably a canon, not sure yet though, maybe a kodak. But I would like to maybe purchase some software for color enhancing if the camera does not come with software that will do it. My Kodak Easyshare now had some software with it, but I don't think it does the color enhancing, it just lets you try to correct red eye which does not usually work that well because of big gray boxes in the place of the eyes. I love color enhanced photos, so I would like to be able to do that myself without having to pay some photographer around her 1000s of dollars to have my baby's picture taken. That is why I am looking for a better camera too.

Thanks for any input.
jessicawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2007, 1:29 PM   #2

First off, take all your photos in color. You can always make a color photo into b&w quite simply, but the opposite is much more difficult and won't look realistic.

Whatever software you use, it's going to be a learning curve. You need to use a program that supports layers, and then you'll need to learn and understand them.

The best program for this kind of work is Photoshop, but that's probably a lot more than you want to spend for this simple project.

On a budget, Photoshop Elements and Paint Shop Pro are more likely choices. I never used Elements, but I assume it has layer functionality. Perhaps some others here can advise which is better for you.

If you don't want to spend anything, you can try using The Gimp or Paint.net. These are freeware programs you can go and download, but learning them would probably be more difficult than PSP or Elements.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 5:50 PM   #3

Photoshop is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately it will cost as much or more than your camera. CS3 was just released so dealers will be trying to dump copies of CS2 on eBay before too long. Just be careful and make sure you are getting a legit copy.

You will see software advertised on eBay as "Just as good as Photoshop" for $10 or $12 This is actually GIMP which is a free download. What they are charging for is putting all the downloads on one CD But they don't tell you that. GIMP is actually a very capable program. The problem I found with it, is that it was designed by geeks for geeks. Everything requires numerical input rather than moving a slider etc.

Elements is a scaled down version of Photoshop for about a fifth of the cost. From what I understand most of what is missing is professional publishing tools. CMYK support, color separations etc. Things you are not likely to need. The exception is layer masks. That you will want if you get serious about it. However I understand there is a workaround.

I lot of people swear by Paint Shop Pro. I think they are nuts when they claim it is good as or better than Photoshop. But it's not bad.

And there are at least a dozen more programs out there. Most of them have free trial downloads. I suggest you try a few of them out for your self.

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 8:29 AM   #4

Well, do you think that Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro will do what I am wanting to do, by making a photo black and white and then making maybe one item in color in the picture? I really do not need all of the tools, probably of the more professional Photoshop, but I do want to be able to do this with some of my pictures of my little boy. I will probably be getting either the Canon Rebel XTi or the Kodak P712, or the Kodak Z612. Are these compatible with these programs?

Thanks
jessicawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 12:29 PM   #5

All cameras shoot JPG which is compatible with everything. Many cameras (all DSLRs) shoot RAW, which can have compatibility issues, but it's usually not something you need to worry about if you get a decent RAW converter.

Both Elements and PSP are supposed to have decent RAW converters which is good if you want to get a DSLR. I'm not sure which would be better overall... I think Elements is supposed to be a bit easier and slicker, but I read that PSP includes tools for dealing with noise, chromatic aberration and barrel distortion, things you'd probably have to pay for separately with Elements. Those kinds of problems can be rather common, particularly if you don't use a DSLR, and having these tools is very nice.

But I don't use either program, so I hope someone will help you out a little more. Maybe you should venture into some of the other forums (like Canon and Kodak) and see what they use, this one doesn't seem too popular.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 8:33 PM   #6

jessicawc wrote:
Quote:
Well, do you think that Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro will do what I am wanting to do, by making a photo black and white and then making maybe one item in color in the picture? I really do not need all of the tools, probably of the more professional Photoshop, but I do want to be able to do this with some of my pictures of my little boy. I will probably be getting either the Canon Rebel XTi or the Kodak P712, or the Kodak Z612. Are these compatible with these programs?

Thanks
Either of those programs should do what you want, if you will spend the time learning how. I use Photoimpact and do similar things. Easiest way is to take the picture in color, then copy it and convert to B&W, the use the clone tool to clone only the color information from the original to the B&W copy. Can also use various brushes to simulate oil paint or water color using the same method, giving a painting within a photo effect.

If you take pics in jpeg format, any program works. If you choose to shoot in RAW mode, you need to check if the camera you buy is supported by the program's RAW converter.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote