Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 18, 2007, 2:40 PM   #1

Hello,

I'mpricing up how much I would need to kit myself out with a Canon 400d and the next thing to consider is post-production editing.

I have Picasa on my computer, but would I need somethinglike Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as well?
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2007, 3:17 PM   #2

I don't know about Picasa, but I just downloaded a free trial of Corel Paint Shop Pro.

As a user of Photoshop 7 the Corel appears to be a good ( and cheap) alternative.

Give it a try for 30 days. You have nothing to loose except a lot of disc space.

http://store.corel.com/webapp/wcs/st...ayMode=browser
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 3:57 PM   #3

it deepends what your wanting from your pictures, photoshop cs2 is no doubt expensive but it does lots it u know how to make it do things, i defiantly wouldnt spend money like that when starting out

photoshop elements is much more affordable, many online photoshop tutorials are doable on elements so there is plenty to read and learn

i have been using photoshop since version 4 quite a few years ago and am still learning what it can do, so bright spark allways comes up with new editing techniques with it!

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 4:54 PM   #4

It depends on what you intend to do and how much you are willing to learn. You can do basic adjustments in almost and photo program. Too many people spend big bucks on photoshop and then never take advantage of its potential.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 8:39 PM   #5

Beejygirl wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

I'mpricing up how much I would need to kit myself out with a Canon 400d and the next thing to consider is post-production editing.

I have Picasa on my computer, but would I need somethinglike Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as well?
At least at first, Picasa should do what you need as far as adjusting exposure, cropping, etc. Later, if you need more capabilities, you will have a better idea of your needs, and which program you need.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:16 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies - I think I'll save my money for now and put it towards a better lens

Old May 18, 2007, 11:20 PM   #7

Um, does this mean I will not be able to shoot RAW? I have only used superfine/large jpg on my P&S and have never used RAW before.:?

Is it worth it or is it more for the advanced user?
Old May 18, 2007, 11:52 PM   #8

I am not a Picasa user myself, but I believe it will allow you to view and convert RAW files to jpeg.

I use RAW almost exclusively, as it gives me the most options for post-processing and getting the best image quality. The drawbacks are larger file size with fewer images per memory card, and the time it takes to post-process. With jpeg, you can get prints directly from your card, either at a store, or from many photo printers.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 2:02 AM   #9

I also have Paint Shop Pro 11, and decided to get Photoshop CS2 well i'm very impressed at what it can do and i'll never turn back, and it really doesn't need a steep learning curve like some say, just buy yourself a CS2 book from Scott Kelby and your set.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 5:59 AM   #10
VP

I think the 400D should come with Canon's Digital Photo Professional. Naturally, it does RAW conversion and does a pretty decent job on basic processing. You can alsoselect picture styles and effects. Can also do cloning with it.

Should get you by until/if you decide on CS2 or other.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote