Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 26, 2007, 6:23 AM   #1

OK, I have this photo of some lollipop trees that I took when I visited the botanical gardens. There are a lot of them and it kind of takes away from the photo. I wanted to change the photo to B&W and just leave one of the flowers its yellow color. I just have *no* idea how to do that. I have Corel Paint Shop Pro 10. Could someone walk me through this?
xanadu324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 4:09 PM   #2

Not having PSP, I can only give you general ideas, but the concept should work with any editor.

First, create a copy, and close your original. Next, copy the copy, or create a new layer. You now have, essentially two copies of the original. Make one of them monochrome, either by desaturating or conversion to b&w.

In Photoimpact, I use the clone tool set to relative, using hue and saturation mode to paint the color back onto the b&w copy. With Photoshop the procedure is create a layer mask, and paint out the part you don't want.

Another method is to mask the part you want to have in color, and convert it into a layer or object, and paste it back to the b&w, again using hue and saturation.

One could also use a desaturating brush to remove the color from what you want in b&w, which requires only the one copy, but probably takes more time.

Your PSP help may have a tutorial on some or all of this. Hope I gave you enough to get you started.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 4:43 PM   #3

One more method just to confuse you more

Does PSP have adjustment layers?

If so creat a "Hue and Satration" adjustment layer and set the satration to 0

Now add a layer mask and paint (on the mask) with a black brush in the are you want color to return.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 11:40 PM   #4

Thank you for the headache. I appreciate it. LOL. Yes, there are ways to make new layers and vectors and yadda yadda etc...

I have no idea what an "adjustment" layer is, so I don't know if it has one or not...maybe?

I looked at the tutorials for PsP and I'm left more confused than I was. It tells me how to make the pic black and white (duh) and how to color a black and white photo (again..duh) but all the colors look totally unrealistic like I just took a bucket and dumped a color in an area of the photo. I shall try what you guys have said and see if I can't figure this out.

*Jess
Old May 27, 2007, 7:24 AM   #5

xanadu324 wrote:
Quote:
I looked at the tutorials for PsP and I'm left more confused than I was. It tells me how to make the pic black and white (duh) and how to color a black and white photo (again..duh) but all the colors look totally unrealistic like I just took a bucket and dumped a color in an area of the photo. I shall try what you guys have said and see if I can't figure this out.
How long have you worked with PSP? If it hasn't been for very long, you may be trying something that's currently beyond your skill level. Why not get one (or a couple) of good intro books and go through the lessons from the beginning, one by one, rather than trying to dive into something that's over your head. Even though some of the lesson contents may not seem necessary for you now, you'll learn a lot more about the program in the process.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 10:01 PM   #6

xanadu324 wrote:
I have no idea what an "adjustment" layer is, so I don't know if it has one or not...maybe?

It is probably called something else in PSP, as that is PS terminology. Then again PSP may do things differently. I had a trial of an earlier version, but did not get too far into it, having so much experience with PI.

*Jess

In PI, I am able to clone from one pic to another, using relative mode, which makes things really easy. If you can't do this with PSP, you might be able to use color picker tool to set the color, then paint it in using airbrush tool, adjusting the tool attributes to get realisitic results.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 12:26 AM   #7

Hey Xanadu, did you ever figure this out? I don't work with PSP, but it seems like it should be rather simple. Just copy and paste the entire image onto a new layer, make that layer B&W and erase the flowers. If PSP supports masking then you should mask the flowers out rather than erase, but either will work (masking is easier to edit later).
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 4:06 AM   #8

yea i got it, the erasing flowers seemed to be the best way to do it, and only needed a teensy bit of touch up...thanks all for the help..i really appreciate it.

*Jess
Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:46 PM   #9

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
xanadu324 wrote:
Kind of an old thread, but I couldn't resist.

Yes, PSP does indeed have adjustment layers and they are so labeled. After you have loaded your image, you may get to these layers from the menu by going to Layers -> New Adjustment Layer -> (Choose from available kinds of adjustment layer).

Available, among others, are the hue-saturation-lightness adjustment layer that you can then set to -100% to convert to black and white. I prefer the Channel Mixer layer, which gives better results and is more flexible but is harder to use. If you tick the monochrome box, the result is a monochrome layer and you can customize the amount of each color channel that appears in the monochrome conversion. You can simulate black and white filters in this way as well as do a straight monochrome conversion. However, if you don't want the overall tonal range of your image to change, you need to ensure manually that the sums add up to 100 percent. If you have chosen values outside the range 0 to 100% for any of the color channels, you also need to check for unwanted loss of detail in the black or white regions of your image.

After you have done your adjustments to get the results you want on this layer, you may then select this adjustment layer in the Layers palette (F8 or the menu item View -> Palette -> Layers to gain access to this palette if it isn't already on your display). The color of the Layers palette determines its opacity. It is all white (fully opaque) when created, but you can paint over with black those areas you want the original image underneath to show through. You may desaturate them again at will by painting on your adjustment layer whith white, or you may partially desaturate an area of your image by painting with gray of a suitable tint.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote