Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 27, 2007, 11:50 AM   #1

Hi,

I often have to use the same layer mask in several layers. There must be a way to use the same mask several times rather than having to re-create it for each layer. Can someone advise?

Regards,

Siggy
Siegfried_Schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 2:54 AM   #2

If you create a mask and just want to copy it into other layers, simply alt+click and drag the mask icon onto the layer you want to receive a copy of it.

Alternately, if you want a bunch of layers to all have identical masking, you can put them all into a group (folder) and just mask the group. To put a bunch of folders into a group, you can either create a group and drag them all into it, or select all the layers you want to use and shift click the group (folder) icon.

There are a couple other ways to manipulate masking data that you may find useful. For example, if you control click on the mask icon you will create a selection of all the white areas. You can then use that to fill another mask with white, or hit ctrl+shift+i to invert your selection and then fill it with black.

Also, if you alt+click on a mask icon, you can directly edit the B&W mask artwork. For example, you can alt+click a mask, hit ctrl+a to select the entire area, copy it, then alt+click on another mask and paste it there. Just remember than to go back to a normal editing mode, you need to alt+click on a regular layer icon.

While editing mask data directly, you can do pretty much anything you can do to a normal layer, including using all the paint tools and applying various filters for interesting effects.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 12:24 PM   #3

Hi.

Thanks, isn't it easy when you know how? I wish I'd asked months ago. Thanks for a comprehensive answer.

Regards,

Siggy

Siegfried_Schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 12:57 PM   #4

No problem!
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote