Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:06 AM   #1

Ok Ive got a nice old olympus c 2040 camera that takes fantastic pictures and is going to become my car camera (ie always in the car, pictures op comes ,it with me not at home). Any how even though it usb it refuses to be recogizied windoze xp camera wizard which downloads andgives automatically jpeg file name thats unique. If I drag and drop off the storeage card it uses Olympus file names which are not unique and causes alot of dupilcation chaos even with the same folder. So whats a good cheap program that will rename jpeg files and give the new unique filejpeg file names base date? Sorry mods if this is posted in the wrong software catagory, feel free to move to the right one. But thats it I need a program , hopefully free, that can simplely and quick bach change the name of memory cards worth a pic in one fell swoop.

thanks bob s
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:17 AM   #2

dont know if this tip may be of help but what i do is this, say we have been to scotland ill rename the folder with pics in via "my computer" by right clicking it and selecting rename (i think mine is called by defualt 100olymp) and calling it scotland, then cut and paste it to where i want to save images. the folder will dissapear from your memory card but when u use cammera it will generate a new one for you

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 5:02 AM   #3

I use 'CKRename'. It's brilliant at renaming, without resettingthe file date&time.

..... http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/index.htm

Be careful to keep backup copies of files. Accidental misrenaming is easy, dangerous, and often logically irreversible. Experiment on a dummy file first to get the pattern matching correct.

Good luck! Alan T

PS.I had an Olympus C3020Z, and stupidly traded it in, instead of keeping it for my children. It gave extraordinarily sharp results on its default settings. It cost twice as much in 2002 as my amazing newKodak Z712s just did. My recent (Sep05) pocketable Casio EX-Z750 lives in my vehicle, but I anticipate winter low temperature difficulties with its Li-ion battery.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:43 AM   #4

The batch processing options of the wonderful 'Irfanview' image processor www.irfanview.com will also do what you need.

It has the advantage over CKRename of offering 3 different search & replace strings, as well as suffixesand incremental numbering.

CKRename has the advantage of a preview screen, allowing you to see the horrible renaming mistakes you may be about to make.

Have fun, Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote