Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 3, 2007, 2:07 AM   #1

Hi guys,

desperately needing help on this one! I've been working on a tiff file at home using CS3. Brought the file into work to carry on working with it but the version of CS3 in the office won't open the same tiff file, i get the following error message:

"Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop"

Incidentally, i can access the tiff through Bridge, where i can see a thumbnail version of it so i'm assuming that the file is not corrupt, but when i try and open it through Bridge i just get the same error message as above!

Any ideas? Many thanks,

Matt
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:46 AM   #2

Longside, I got cs so can't help that way, I know a quite a few people who have had the same problem, I don't know if you know about the site called dpreview just type this in to google and go into their retouching forum, registering is free if you want answers. They will give you the answer.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:50 AM   #3

Thanks Alex,

I've managed to get things sorted. I downloaded a piece of free fware which batch converts image files. i converted the troublesome tiff to another tiff and renamed it. The new tiff opened with no problems.

CS3 teething problem prehaps?!
Old Jul 3, 2007, 8:58 AM   #4

ok mate.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 9:46 AM   #5

Why transfer with a TIFF instead of PhotoShop's lossless native PSD? Doesn't PSD preserve more information than a TIFF while generally being smaller? Or isn't that true for the most recent versions of PS?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 9:50 AM   #6

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Why transfer with a TIFF instead of PhotoShop's lossless native PSD? Doesn't PSD preserve more information than a TIFF while generally being smaller? Or isn't that true for the most recent versions of PS?
Hi Bill, yeah you're right PSD would have been the ideal format. I ended up with a TIFF as a result of doing a HDR conversion in Photomatix, in this software the only output formats are TIFF or JPEG. To preserve as much data as possible i went with TIFF. Que the CS3 problems!