Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 20, 2002, 6:55 PM   #1

Default Elements v. Picture Window

I am just getting into digital printing after doing "regular" darkroom work for decades. I downloaded trial versions of both Photoshop Elements and Picture Window (from Digital Light & Color). Both are sophisticated imaging programs that have roughly the same extensive capabilities. Be forewarned that the learning curve for both is pretty steep. Plan to spend a few hours practicising. On balance I prefer Picture Window. I like its Preview Window feature, where you get to see an image of the particular change your're making next to the unchanged image. It also has a lot of cool stuff you can do in black-and-white. However, neither is very good for multiphoto layouts. For this I recommend PhotoElf (also available for a free trial). It's very easy to learn and does exactly what you want. Its editing features are too barebones for me, but I'm getting it for the layout feature alone.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2002, 10:04 AM   #2

Default Printing

You might also want to look at Qimage Pro for printing your images. I have been really impressed with the output. It is not an full fledged editor but it is one of the best at printing out your images. Printing from an editor takes much more work and the output is not as good. Give it a try there is a demo verision that you can try before you buy.

Dave
msgtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 7:16 PM   #3

Try Photoshop Elements 2. There is a preview option and you can now do multiple photo prints. You could do it before. Get the book 50 Fast Photo Digital Tehniques. It features Elements 1 and shows how to do usuable editing.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote